Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Aug 19, 2003, 11:37 PM   #11

I forgot to mention our Host: http://www.steves-digicams.com/
Where, along all the other great reviews, you'll also find a lot of info on flash cards and their performance. And if you're really serious abut researching flash cards, go to :
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...e.asp?cid=6007
A site recommended by Steve.
Edramb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2003, 4:04 AM   #12

I think the problem with confidence and track record is it's fine to have all the paper claims and specs with infinite warranty, BUT when things go wrong, it's down to reliability of the product first and the effectiveness of a company to execute its promises at some future date - after you've spent your money!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2003, 12:40 PM   #13

Hey voxmagna, I'm agreeing with you!!!
But confidence or lack of confidence should not be developed by hear-say testimonials. Someone saying that he's heard ....... is not good enough for me to form an opinion based on what he's heard from someone else. I have more confidence in the people that do professional reviews.
There is not a Flash card, car, camera etc out there that someone, somewhere isn't unhappy with. Just like there isn't a food out there that someone, somewhere doesn't claim is bad for you, but we still eat. :lol:
Edramb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2003, 2:08 PM   #14

Yes, and the way some people break their cards by doing silly things must be a headache for card manufacturers, so some bad experiences may be down to the users themselves!

Do you remember all the hype about which floppy disk make was better than the next, and the so called 'error free' brands. Same with CDR's it seems as well.

But when customers complain about poor technical support and response - that's pretty easy to be confident about by contacting them yourself, seeing how long you are waiting in the queue and what knowledge is imparted from the distant end. A good question for starters might be: 'My expensive 1Gb+ card is screwed, it needs a low level format or replacement, will you repair or replace it under the 10 year warranty, how long will it take to examine my card and get a replacement back to me'
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2003, 11:30 PM   #15

A 10 year warranty sounds great and will cost the manufactuer nothing. Let's face it, the biggest and most expensive card on the market today will be the smallest and cheapest card to replace in a couple of years time.

When shopping for a card you should ask about the warranty period.

1st time digital camera owners often send their cameras back for warranty claims and most of the time the only problem is a card error due to power interuption during writing or reading from the card. A simple reformat is all that's needed.

Or they complain that the camera eats batteries, yeah get over it. Its a bit of a learning process.
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2003, 10:14 AM   #16

Default Some thoughts on Lexar

I did a lot of research on CF cards when I bought my S50 because I am picky that way. I'll risk a flame war by asserting that memory is memory. I have been in IT for over 25 years and have never had problems with memmory. THAT BEING SAID.

I wussed out and got the Lexar memmory for several reasons:

1) I could afford the extra $30.00
2) I felt more secure about the safety of my pictures
3) They have a lifetime warranty (Not 10 years)
4) They included image recovery software
5) They where the only ones with 40X speed. While I realize this is a waste in my camera it is NOT a waste when transferring at USB 2.0. It will also work better with new generation cameras or Dslrs that I am sure to buy in the future.
6) The box was cool (This is the most important factor :-) )

Now I have had Sandisk in the past and would certainly buy again if the speed and warranty where the same. I may try a transcend card because they are now up to 45X and are slightly cheaper.

There brand does not have great consumer awareness but they are well known to IT and MIS managers.
Skripo is offline   Reply With Quote