Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Aug 14, 2003, 5:30 AM   #1

Default Compact Flash problem and questions

Hello! i am new here and i would like to ask you something:

I have a Delkin Compact Flash card Type I(128Mb) and i have a little problem with it: when i delete all the information from it or i format it the camera says that there are 4Kb taken. From the beggining i had this feature. Is it normal, can anything be done? It does not bother me so much but i am curious.

And another question about Delkin, on the card it is written (C) 1998 DDI, and i do not know if this means that the card is so old, or not, because i bought it a week ago and it was new and sealed in the package.

I want to tell you that i have a Canon Powershot A70.

Thank you very much for your answers.
scuby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 14, 2003, 5:50 AM   #2

Sorry i forgot to ask the second question: i want to buy another card but i do not know what brand to choose. I understood that Lexar are the best but they are too expensive.
What will you recommend?
Old Aug 16, 2003, 11:50 PM   #3

Don't worry about the 4kb it amounts to nothing.
If you want the best, you'll have to pay the extra. My recommendation is Sandisk ULTRA for the fastest processing.
All other spec's are more or less equal.
Edramb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2003, 9:31 PM   #4

Quote:
And another question about Delkin, on the card it is written (C) 1998 DDI, and i do not know if this means that the card is so old, or not, because i bought it a week ago and it was new and sealed in the package.
I wouldn't worry about that at all. Its the same thing as say AMD Athlon processors all having the (C) 1999 on them. In AMD's case this is when they put a trade mark on the Athlon name, im sure with your card its the same thing. Besides, in 1998 a 128mb compact flash card would have been huge and most likely not even available then.

As for recommended brands... well I would also second Edramb's suggestion on the Sandisk Ultra brand. I know for me locally the Ultra's come in slightly cheaper priced then the 24x Lexar cards when looking at the 256 or 512mb cards and are fairly comparable in speed. However if you want pretty well the fastest card out there and have the money to spend Lexar makes a 40x version in 256mb and 512mb sizes for not alot more more than their 24x line of cards.
tkmckay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2003, 1:58 PM   #5

Thank you very much for your answer!

I would like to buy a Sandisk Ultra, but i want to ask if my camera the Canon A70, uses this fast cards or it uses them as normal cards? Does it has the capability to take advantage of this cards?

Thanks!
Old Aug 18, 2003, 2:15 PM   #6

Faster cards don't always mean you can shoot and save faster. When the camera reaches its optimum transfer it will go no faster.

For most cameras, movie mode and large RAW or TIFF saving is most demanding. However some who do not use it are happy to pay less for a card that works just as fast for most pictures most of the time. With the exception of Movie modes and possibly continuous shooting mode, ALL CF cards should work without problems.

However, newer cameras and faster USB2 readers may take advantage of extra card speed, so buying faster now may mean advantages for the future.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2003, 4:36 PM   #7
kex

hi.
the sandisk ultra might be helpful for that shooting mode, where the cam takes foto, as long as you push the shutter release.
I don't know how this mode is called in english.
But I recognized, that the cam has to work a lot, even if you released the shutter release, the cam still writes on the card.

By the way: I'm using a SanDisk 128MB -no ultra- and I'm quite satisfied.
kex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2003, 5:26 PM   #8

I would recommend Lexar over SanDisk. This isn't from personal experience, but I've heard several people complain about the support from SanDisk.

People complain that they don't list phone contact info on their web site. They don't answer inquiries promptly. These are "professional" grade cards (i.e. people pay extra for faster speed and better support because they they need the support promptly.)

The opposite has been true of the comments on Lexar support. They are prompt to respond. The responces are what you want (i.e. you send them a CF card, in several days they send you a CD with as man pictures recovered as possible and also a brand new CF card of the same type. That is what I expect for a CF card which costs so much more than the cheaper ones.)

But technically you don't need a "Pro" level card with the A70. I bet that camera won't be any faster with a card over about 12x. That is one of the differences between the multi thousand cameras and the consumer grade cameras.

Now, if you want the warrenty that the Pro cards offer (I do) then spend the money. But don't expect a 40x card to write faster than a 24x card, or even a 12x card (I bet). I doubt it would... heck, I'm confident enough that I'd say "it won't happen."

This is why I spend the $30+ extra and got the 512MB Lexar 40X WA card over the SanDisk. I support companies which treat people better. I have a Canon 10D Digital SLR camera ($1,500.) It doesn't benefit from the 40x, but it would benefit from 24x.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2003, 6:15 PM   #9

Well put eric s! I think the warranty/support/confidence is very important on big expensive 512-1Gb CF cards. Might be less so for cheaper smaller cards, up to say 128Mb. What do you think?
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2003, 11:25 PM   #10

The best way to find out what's good and what's better is to do a search on GOOGLE for "sandisk ultra review" or similar. It will get you to the reviews that actually test one card against the others and it is how I wound up picking sandisk ultra.
I like the 10 year warranty for the sandisk ultra and have not heard from anyone with personal experience to do with bad service but the odd's are good that I'll never need any with the ultra.
Here is what I found at http://modtown.ca.uk

The 'real-world' test stressed the Ultra 512MB it to its fullest, and with a fast processing time result of only 8.1 seconds, it shows that the card is defiantly a high-performance product; ideal for the professional user who requires fast snapshot and recovery time in their line of work or hobby.

A great bonus is that this product comes with a 10 year warranty. Having such a lengthy warranty period instils a certain amount of confidence in the card itself, meaning that a user can afford to rely on the memory card totally - without the worry of it failing on them during an all important shoot.

modtown rating: 5 out of 5
Edramb is offline   Reply With Quote