Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Aug 22, 2007, 4:50 AM   #11

Anything is possible, except for the fact that if your xD slot was bad, it shouldn't have any effect on your CF slot...the xD is supposed to give you 320 shots per charge in your camera. If the CF uses less power, then your should be getting more than 320 shots when using a CF card, right? But you're not. If your were only experiencing poor battery performance in your S9100, I'd suggest the problem is with your camera. However, you also reported a lower than expected shot-per-charge performance with your S5100 (180-200 with the same xD card back on 7/26). That's about half of what you should expect with the S5100. How can this be? Bad xD slot on the S5100 too? Are your xD cards more power hungry than mine? Maybe, but I don't really think so.

So what is the common thread here? I assume you have tried different xD cards and different batteries, with similar results - right? All charged in the same old charger? Hmmmmm...try a fresh set of decent batteries (Sanyo, Powerex), and pick up a new charger. If you still only get 50 shots per charge, then your camera is faulty and it should go back to Fuji for repair. I'd be willing to bet that the problem lies with...are you ready for this...your batteries and/or charger.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2007, 10:49 PM   #12

I tired a brand new set of 2700mha impact brand rechargeables today and got the same results with my xD card. 55shots and the batteries were dead. The batteries are charging now so I can run the test with the CF card tomorrow morning.

I will report back

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2007, 4:18 AM   #13

"Impact" batteries??? You mean like these?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...lue=348419_REG

Gee, I wonder why B&H stopped carrying them?

Same charger as always?

the Hun

Old Aug 23, 2007, 1:53 PM   #14

Yes those are the batteries. I am only using them because that is what I was able to borrow from someone at work on short ntice. I usually use CTA and Energizers as they always seemed to work and provide plently of power for me in the past.

I did a test with the CF card this morning - a sandisc ultra II 2GB card and I was able to get 250 pictures to the same set of fully charged batteries. Thats 60 for thexD and 250 for the CF card........

So I called bhphotovideo that sold me the camera to ask them for advise. They told me that xD cards require more juice to write data then my CF card would. They said that the Fuji S-9100 and9000 have always been this way. I asked them for a ratio and they said 60 xD to 100CF shots or so. I told them about my results and they said they were way out of line.

Then they started to talk me through some things to check and we found out that my camera of all things was set to consent auto focus which will have a major effect on battery life.

They suggested a run another series of tests with normal auto focus and se what happens. If they spread is more than 60 to 100 then call them back and they will go the next step which is repair.......

So I will do that next week. I have to shot a football game tomorrow so I will just use my CF cards for that.

TRhanks for your pacience I will report back next week. They also suggested I get a hold of an xD card clening kit and clean the contacts in the slot. I will get one at Best Buy in the morning.

dave
Old Aug 24, 2007, 10:00 AM   #15

something interting happend this morning.......

I got a cleaning kit to clean my xD and CF card slot in my camera. I also changed from an M series xD card to an H series xD card (1GB size).

I then did my usual tesrt of firing off images in the camera and what do you know I got 120 images and the battery still is reading good.

So I put the M series card into my old Fuji and it gave me crappy results as well. The thing is I have 3x 1GB M series cards and borrowed an H series card from work. So the problem lies in the M series of xD cards I believe since all three of my M series cards acted the same way. The H series card is giving much better results on my camera. But it makes you wonder how 3 cards could all be semi bad (or crappy). I bought them through (2x) bhphotovideo and 1 at newegg.com one at a time over the course of 9 months.

I will test the CF cards tonight as I shot 2 football games. Maybe I got dirt into the slots I do shot around smoke and fire a lot and have to cvhange my card in those conditions some times

I made a note to buy an H series xD card for the camera as my backup card (I have a a 2GB and 4GB CF cards as my primary cards).

Any thnaks for the advance and presence that it was a problem and not the norm.

dave
Old Aug 24, 2007, 5:08 PM   #16

Glad to hear you're getting more shots now. I probably should have asked this before, but are you shooting with your LCD on? If you are, that would tend to reduce the number of shots per charge, also.

the Hun

Old Aug 26, 2007, 9:36 PM   #17

My test Friday night with a CF card in the camera produiced close to 450 shots durning a football game before I had to change batteries. So it seems to be working ok now.

dave
Old Aug 27, 2007, 4:43 PM   #18

Yeah, but what about the xD? 320 shots per charge?

the Hun

Old Aug 30, 2007, 7:25 PM   #19

No 180 shots and the battery dies. almost 480 on a CF card

End of thread I am happy I resolved the issue and the CF cards are working fine in the camera.

Thanks for all your help

dave