Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Aug 12, 2007, 10:15 PM   #1

I've been using an Olympus C-770 for 3 years, just got an E-410. I'm generally pro Olympus, but the XD card gives me problems I NEVER encounter with SD or CF. I've used 3 different card readers on two different computers (Windows 2000 and XP). Sometimes it won't read at all, sometimes VERY slow to read, sometimes a picture or two will be corrupted - the bottom half missing, or digitally jumbled. It leads me to believe there's something inherently 'unstable' or 'Hinky' with the XD 'platform'. Thank goodness my new E-410 has a slot for CF as well.It doesn't happen all the time, just enough that I can't trust the XD with important pics. (and every pic is POTENTIALLY important)

In the C-770, I never used larger than 128 meg, and it occurs less with that,than with this new 512 card in the E-410.

Dadders6, Dallas, tx
dadders6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 13, 2007, 8:18 PM   #2

Some people have a problem with CF cards:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=52

Some people have a problem with SD cards:

Some people think they have a problem with xD cards:

I've never had a problem with an xD card.

Maybe your computer is a little 'Hinky"?

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2007, 9:05 AM   #3

We have 300 Stylus cameras and I've had no reported problems with the xD cards. We use three different readers on XP notebooks.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2007, 9:39 PM   #4

The bottom line is simply this, folks: The XD chip is not the very best solution, at all. However, as slow as it is, it does work. So in my opinion, we will have to struggle onward with all its faults.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2007, 12:20 PM   #5

I have been using xD cards for a long time now. I have a Fuji S-51090 camera for almost 2 years and now have a Fuji S9100 that uses xD cards. I have used 256MB, 512MB and 1GB sizes.

I amitt I had a problem with xD cards where it would only upload the first 512MB of a 1GB card through my memory card reader no matter what I did. The problem was resolved by getting a new memory card reader the 15-in-1 USB type that Sam Club Sells (Digital Concepts Brand). Fuji tech support told me that many of the older card readers at the time could not read 512MB or higher xD cards and their was a known issue. The same is true on my old wolverine meory storage device where it can't reader xD over 512MB or CF cards over 1GB. Technology changes and I guess our input devices need to change as well.

I always format the card in the camera when I first get it and then erase it in the computer once the photos have been offloaded. Between the 256MB, 2x 512MB, 2x 1GB xD cards I have, I have taken close to 25,000 photos and never had any other problems than what I dicussed above and then problem took me all of two weeks to figure out. I also had 2x 128MB cards for an older olympus camera and never had a an issues with them.

What I will tell you about xD cards that is negative in my opinion is that my Fuji S9100 has sloats for xD and CF cards. With a fully charged set of batteries I can get about 50 shots (maybe as many as 75 if I shoot without powering on and off -- such as doing sports game where I am constantly shooting)on my xD card before the batteries go dead or 200 shots on the CF card. So it appears in some cameras the cards are power hungry.... however on my old Fuji S-5100 I could get almost 220 shots per set of batteries.

I now carry a 2GB and a 4GB CF cards plus the 2x 1GB xD cards for my camera. The 2GB card is loaded in my camera and is the defult card I use for shooting. When it fills I shoot to the xD card till I can change out the card to the 4GB one and keep going.

Hope this offers some insight int your problem. I'd try to reformat the card and a newer card reader.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2007, 4:10 PM   #6

Dave,

If you're only getting 50 shots on a full charge, I think something is seriously wrong with your batteries or your charger! Your camera is rated for 320 shots (CIPA Standard), using 2500 mAh NiMH batteries, xD card, with the LCD on. If you turn the LCD off, you should do even better. I've never actually shot any of my cams to the point of battery exhaustion, but I get at least 350-400 shots with my S6000, using 2400 mAh batteries, and about the same with my S5100 (LCD off on both).

Regarding the xD being more 'power hungry', I could see there being a slight difference, but you're quoting as much as a 4:1 difference in battery life. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. If your camera took longer to write to the xD card, I could see it using more energy, but the xD is most likely faster than the CF in your camera...at least it was in this test of the S9000:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilms9000/page5.asp

Try a different battery/charger combo and see if things don't improve for you.

the Hun

Old Aug 21, 2007, 8:13 AM   #7

There is nothing wrong with my batteries or my charger. It just gets crappy battery life if I shoot directly to xD cards. If I change the memory card option to CF cards in the same camera I get great battery life. Tech support for Fuji told me that xD cards take more power to read and write than CF cards

dave
Old Aug 21, 2007, 11:11 AM   #8

Let me say it again...s-l-o-w-l-y...

Your camera is rated for 320 shots on one charge with an xD card - you're getting only 50 shots...320 vs. 50...you think that is normal?

You have a serious battery and/or charger problem - if you didn't, you would get over 300 shots per charge when using your xD card, not 50. 50 shots per charge is a joke! You would do better using alkalines.

It's not the xD card.

the Hun

Old Aug 21, 2007, 10:52 PM   #9

Well can you explain how with the same set of batteries and camera I get alomst 250 shots when I save the images to a compact flash card and only 50 shots when I use an xD card. The Fuji S-9100 has two card slots built in. Also the same xD card gave me almost 250 shots when used in my old Fuji S-5100.

I even used a volt and amp meter to make sure the batteries were the same forall 4tests (Xd then CF then Xd then CF.

I underatand what you are saying and thank you for saying it again in case I missed the point the first time but my tests show and I did them each twice that I get 50 shots to an xD cardand 250 to CF card in the same camera. Also Fuji pointed out that CF cards require less battery power than xD cards to record images.

dave
Old Aug 21, 2007, 10:53 PM   #10

Maybe the xD slot in my camera is bad?