Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Aug 14, 2003, 4:44 PM   #1

Default Compact Flash cards with different speeds?

OK, so I'm surfing the web to see about buying a CF1 card and notice that "high speed - no error" cards are available for about twice the price of regular CF1 cards.

Question 1: Do these cards record material faster - playback material faster - or both?

Question 2: How much faster?

Question 3: What's this "no error" stuff? Are the regularly priced cards somehow inferior?

Any replies here are greatly appreciated!

bobmc
bobmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 14, 2003, 5:08 PM   #2

1) Record faster. Reading from a CF is rather fast as it is. I'm sure some read faster than others, but it's so much faster than writing that it's usually ignored in marketing/sales info.

2) What camera do you have? That is what makes the difference. For most (but not all) cameras, over about 10-12x doesn't matter. The more expensive ones usually have a life-time warrenty. Having the warrenty might make a difference to you, or it might not.

3) I have no idea what "no error" means. Could you post a link to the card in question?

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2003, 5:19 PM   #3

Here's the link.

http://www.digitallydiscovered.com/p...00#Accessories

Go about half way down the page and you'll find "Memory Compact Flash" and "Memory Hi Speed Compact Flash"

The camera I'm considering is the Canon S400 digital elph. As an aside, if there's a better digital camera that's the same size as the elph, lemme know.

bobmc
bobmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2003, 8:20 PM   #4

I would not touch that place with a 10 foot poll.

Check out these reviews of the company:
http://www.resellerratings.com/seller2438.html

The descriptions of people's dealings with them makes me thing they should be run out of town and out of business.

You don't really need anything faster than about 12x with that camera. The rest will be wasted. CF brands I would trust:
Lexar, Transcend, Delkin, SanDisk.

Probably in that order, actually. I've heard bad things about SanDisk's customer support recently. There are other decent ones. If you poke around in this forum you'll see them mentioned.

Wha they list is completely bogus. Notice how they don't say what the brand is? The picture they show has multiple brands in it? zero-lag time? No way, this isn't speed of light communications, its compact flash!!! They say 1,000,000 million hours between failures... that isn't really a meaningful rating. CF is rated in number of writes.

For $80 you could get a 256MB Lexar 40x WA card from newegg.com. I've ordered once from them and it went smoothly. But even better, look at newegg's ratings on www.resellerratings.com. It is amazing. Don't get taken by the scam which is Digitally Discovered.

Another place to try is calumet, which I order the majority of my gear from. They have $93 for the same as I lised at newegg, or $190 for the 512MB version.
http://www.calumetphoto.com/

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2003, 3:09 AM   #5

Take eric s's advice, I noticed the group shot with a few brand names I recognised, but wasn't clear about what they were actually selling.

PS the internet is really fast to you guys at the mo. - presumably that's because there are fewer online!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote