Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Aug 15, 2003, 10:58 AM   #1

Default smart media card error, recovery of card and macs

Hi, I've seen a lot of articles on card errors with smart media in these forums but most of the solutions involve using a PC, I'm on a Mac. I tried using Virtual pc(using win 98 with drivers installed) but the card will not appear in my computer.
Any way I've got three SM cards 2x64mb and an 8mb. All giving a card errors on my Toshiba pdrm71. It was working fine until I bought a 7-in-1 card reader from twinmos, I didn't know and probably deleted files manually on the cards from mac os, now I know now this is a no-no.
Are the cards dead or is there an easy and cheap way to recover the cards from Mac os 9 or X. I'm not worried about the pictures as I already downloaded them.
I've seen some recovery programs but they are expensive.

Thanks

Steven
Stniuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 15, 2003, 1:29 PM   #2

Getting a card back to life is not easy. The cards are formatted in DOS 12/16 bit FAT. Unless you can emulate such a format (and I wouldn't trust an emulation across a usb link!). I'd just read up on the posts here on how to do it in a PC, take your cards and reader to a Win 2K or XP PC and fix them that way.

If you put the write protect tabs on the media next time you put them in the reader,they shouldn't get written to.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2003, 1:38 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply.

I can get to a win 98se machine can I do it on there?

Steven
Old Aug 15, 2003, 2:33 PM   #4

Good news I got the cards working. This what I did, it's up to you to decide what made the difference.
I gave each cards contacts a clean with a tissue.
I blew out the hole where the cards are inserted with a hairdryer on cold setting.
In Mac OSX I used disk utility to erase the card and used the dos setting format. This uses fat 16 BTW as confirmed by Photorescue.
I then just ran the card through Photorescue (this probably did nothing except confirm the format).
Then I tried the card in the camera, it asked to format which I did.
I think the cleaning had a lot to do with it, the contacts inside the camera are impossible to inspect or clean.
The reformatting to fat 16 probably helped also. It had somehow got to be fat12??

Steven.
Old Aug 16, 2003, 5:04 AM   #5

Good to hear you're sorted. Win98SE hasn't got all the DOS format options. For some strange reason, they were there through all versions of real DOS to 6.2, then they dropped it in the Win98SE cut down DOS but brought it back in Win2K and XP.

Small cards up to 16Mb are usually formatted as FAT12. DOS seems to work out what size the card is and default to FAT12 automatically. Above 16Mb, cards are FAT16 but NEVER 32, or an Apple variant! Cameras seem happy with either FAT12 or FAT16

I put a Smartmedia adhesive card label on one of my cards once - and discovered after a few insertions it was getting chewed in the slot and bits were tearing off. If you must use the labels, they must be clear of the card sides, else they foul in the guide rails. VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote