Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Aug 21, 2007, 5:48 AM   #1

I have a SanDisk Plus USB Ultra II 1GB (with built in direct USB connection)

It was working just fine the other day, but it just stopped working today. I used it with my Canon S3 IS camera and on computer to access the photos.

The camera spat out "memory card error" and "card is locked" in playback mode and ever since my computer won't read the card whatsoever either directly through USB or through an SD reader.

It just got fried...
When I put this card in my Panasonic digital camera, the camera stalls.
Anyone else?

SanDisk's support dept is the slowest idiot. It took the foreign call center idiot some 45 minutes after a series of holds for RMA intake, then they are wanting to delay another two entire days(48 hours) before it's even processed.

itsme000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 21, 2007, 8:15 AM   #2
Administrator

It might just be a corrupted partition table. Sometimes the card isn't actually bad when you see odd symptoms like that.

If you want to see if it's fixable, download testdisk:

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

Insert the card into a card reader. Then, start testdisk. If it asks you about a log file, just tell it to create a new one (that's not really important, so any option at that screen is fine).

Then, it will give you list of drives it sees in the system. Highlight the one that matches your 1GB card (it should be approximately 1000MB) and select Proceed.

Here is an example of where I'm highlighting a 1GB CompactFlash card.

After you select Proceed, select Intel.

Then, you'll come to a screen that looks like this screen. Let me know what you see in the line that starts with Disk

If that line looks correct for a 1GB card, we'll want to use the MBR menu choice and rewrite the MBR. Then, use the Panasonic SD formatter to reformat the card (download link at the bottom of this page):

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c...formatter.html

If it does not look correct, we'll probably want to use the Analyse choice and see what comes up here (where we can make changes to the structure as needed and write the partition table back to the card).

But, see what you get for the screen that comes up after selecting Intel first. I need to know the line that starts with Disk. Then, we'll go from there.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2007, 9:42 AM   #3

Nope, won't even detect. RMA it goes
Old Aug 21, 2007, 9:53 AM   #4
Administrator

If you've got a Linux Live CD sitting around, sometimes the drivers in Linux will detect a card that Windows won't, and you may be able to fix the partition table using testdisk under Linux that way. I've seen that issue more than once in the past.

I just recovered some Wedding photos for someone recently using Linux, when Windows based recovery utilities wouldn't see the card at all. Sometimes a bad partition table will cause that kind of thing with Windows. If you want to spend some time downloading and booting in to a Linux CD to look for it, just let me know and I'll try to talk you through it.

But, it may be a defective component causing it, too.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2007, 12:04 AM   #5

Jim you make a very excellent point. Jim your walking encylopedia of digital camera knowledge.

We keep a linux portion on one of the hard drives at work just for recovery of pictures and other media drives (even extral hard drives) sometimesthat go awall ands windows can't recover. On the other portion of the same drive is Windows XP Pro with photorecovery and mm card recovery programs that we use to recover images from memory cards that get erased by accident or fail. Thats all their is on that drive. I believe its a 30GB hard drive portioned into 2 20GB sectors. I personel have used mm card recovery 2 times and although it is slow (took 30 minutes to get to where I neede it to be)it recovered the lost pictures for me.

dave

Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2007, 1:54 AM   #6

I have used Data recovery in the past and they have been quite successful as long as the card was visible to the computer.

In this caes, the computer didn't even acknowledge the presence of the device.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 10:50 PM   #7

If you know anyone that runs lunix have them try to see if they can read or at least see your memory card as being visable.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2007, 12:58 PM   #8

Your "card is locked" message might be significant. I think most readers will read a locked card, but check that the little switch on the card is in the unlocked position.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2007, 8:26 PM   #9

slipe wrote:
Quote:
Your "card is locked" message might be significant. I think most readers will read a locked card, but check that the little switch on the card is in the unlocked position.

I checked the obvious. No, it wasn't locked. After some 45 minutes on the phone to get the RMA, it got sent back to SanDisk and they're supposed to be shipping me an identical replacement on Tuesday.