Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Aug 21, 2007, 9:25 AM   #1

I would value anyones opion that has shoot wedings in the past with what you'd suggest for my work flow and memory card needs.

Hi I am not a professional wedding photograoher but have been hired to shoot a wedding next year by some people I work with at work. They know I have only shot family weddings in the past.... that said.....

I use a Fuji S-9100 camera (9 Mega-pixel) and I have a 2GB, 4GB and2x 1GB memory cards (2 and 4 are CF and the 1GB are xD) for it. Usually this is never an issue because I shoot 5 ega-pixel mosrt o the time or can erase my memory card after uploading it to a wolverine emory storeage device........

I am being asked to shot as high resolution as my camera will shoot in jpeg mode and put all the images onto DVDs.I have also been asked to dothe usualy formas and then shoot reportage sytle and shoot as much as I can possible shoot.I know that I probbaly won't have enough room to shoot all the events and such with the memory cards that I have without reusing them.

My backup camera is a 5mp camera that uses xD cards oly so eraseing them is no big deal...... but battery life with xD cards in my Fuji 9100 is not as good as with CF cards.

Usually for my present job if I run low on memory card space (which never has happened) I just upload to laptop or Wolverine device erase it and kjeep shooting. But since timing is the key here I don't believe I will have 4 to 8minutes (depending on size ofcard)to just sit around and let the CF cards erase and format itself.

I am guessing my best bets are

1.) bring laptop and a memory card reader and let it upload and then erase the card as I keep shooting...... hoping no one will steal it.

2.)Just tell my friend I don't have enough memory card space and tell them I have to buy enoigh one and charge them for it - don't think I'll have another need for another card

3.) Maybe get a friend to tag along and they could do all the uploading and erasing for me as I shoot away (will have to find a friend whos free......)

Any ideas would be apperciated. I don;t want to mess this up as I might have a chance to sell alot of photos from this event as well as batches of photos on DVDs. I am already promised a minimum order of 12 complete sets of photos on DVDs at $8 per DVD.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 19, 2007, 6:35 PM   #2
Super Moderator

I know this was posted a long time ago but just found it so decided to chip in.

I personally shoot with a Canon 5D and a Canon 30D and take 16Gb of memory cards with me shootings with RAW + Jpg. I also have a 40Gb Jobo One backup drive if needed, but that is looking at well over 1000 photos which is overkill if I use all 16Gb.

I'm more concerned that you are shooting with a bridge camera for a paid wedding job for a couple of reason. Firstly there is the impression you create to the client, seeing their 'Pro' using a lesser camera to some of the guests is not a good thing. You have very little creativity with such a camera as you can't really play with dof. If shooting indoors you don't have the capability to get really high quality shots that you could with a fast prime lens on a dSLR.

I would honestly reconsider going ahead with this for money with the current setup as the client will be looking for the best job possible as it is their day.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2007, 10:49 AM   #3

Thanks

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote