Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Aug 24, 2007, 5:26 AM   #1

hi, i hopesomeone can help me on this one...

i recently had an event and took a whole load of photos, and i got home and rushed to upload em, so i was a bit careless when i stuck the memory card(memory stick PRO Duo by Sony) into the slot i had in my computer...which ive never used...

the thing is, the slot says its compatible with these cards, which is about all the info u get,a picture of the logo on the memory card and i was good to go...

but when i stuck the card in, it just kept goin and got lodged inside the computer...so by now ur all probably laughin ur asses off, but trust me, its the most annoyin and frightening thing having an expensive memory card stuck inside a computer...with all my photos..

so i could either hav tried to dig it out or yeh i dno what else...

the front end, or the big with the gold stripes which im guesin has somethin to do with memory holding, looks as if its got small scratches on it, you hav to look closely...

but anyway, i got the card out, and now when i put it into the camera or into a PROPER memory card reader, it doesnt read it at all...

so is ther any possible way which i could get my photos off the card at all?

please help somebody, the photos mean alot..

regards

akash
akashm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 24, 2007, 6:34 AM   #2
Administrator

Those Gold stripes are just the electrical contacts that make a connection to the camera or card reader, and tiny scratches in them are normal from insertion and removal.

Are you sure the camera is not seeing the card (and that you have it inserted properly)? What happens if you try to playback any photos you took in the camera?

Are you using an adapter with the card (it comes with an adapter to allow it to work in devices designed for Sony Memory Stick Pro cards, since the Duo is pretty small and some devices use the larger MS Pro size cards)?

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2007, 2:58 AM   #3

hi, thanks for the quick reply

ive inserted the card into the camera in a number of different ways, but only one way "fits" well, and it clicks. when i turn on the camera, a light comes on in the socket wher i insert the card, so the camera knwos that a cards inside. the problem is when i cant use the card, i can take photos, but it is saved onto the hardrive memory of the camera. when i use the playback function or turn on the camera for that matter the word "access" appears ont eh screen, and after a while it will say "please insert a card"...

im not attempting to put the card back into my computer anytime soon, so thers no need for an adapter or soemthin to fit the card into anymore...

i probably shud have realised that i mtie have needed an adapter, but because the slot in my laptop had the sony memory card logo, i just figured it mite hav taken it straight, which i now realise is not the right thing to do.

do you happen to know wher abouts on the memory card that the information is held? the memmory card is the same as this image, (only 512mb however)

thanks
Old Aug 25, 2007, 6:28 AM   #4
Administrator

That's a Memory Stick Pro Duo card. I removed the image you posted since it's from a commercial site and sometimes sites don't like it if you use their images without permission.

Insert the memory card and plug the camera into a USB port on your PC.

Then, see if it shows up as a removable driver under "My Computer". If so, click on it, drill down through any folders and see if your photos are there. If so, select them (Edit, Select All) and copy them (Edit, Copy).

Then, click on a folder you want to save them to (somewhere else on your PC) and select Edit>Paste.

Then, see if you can format the card using your PC. Right click on it (under My Computer), select Format. Then, when the screen comes up with a drop down list for File System Type, change it to FAT, leaving the rest of it at defaults and format the card. Then, format it using your camera's menu choice for format before using it again.

If you can't see it via a USB connection to the camera, try a card reader. Your card probaby came with an adapter. So, if your card reader can support Memory Stick Pro, it should be able to see the card if you put it into the adapter and plug it into the correct slot.

An adapter like the one shown in this image is shipped with most Memory Stick Duo type Cards. So, if your reader supports Memory Stick Pro cards (and you mentioned it had a logo on it for that card type), this adapter should allow it to work with your reader:

If you can't see the photos that way under My Computer (by clicking on the card and looking in it's folders), try this utility:

http://www.pcinspector.de/smart_medi...uk/welcome.htm

After you get your photos back, right click on the card under My Computer, select Format, and make sure to select FAT from the drop down list of File System Types and format it. Then, format it using your camera's menu choice for format before using it again.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2007, 12:21 PM   #5

Hey,

I did the same thing and it got stuck, the memory stick duo . So how did u remove it. Please email me back at [email protected] asap.

Bye
Dtharanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2007, 3:48 PM   #6

If the memory card is physically damaged, Ontrack Data Recovery is a good bet to retrieve your images.(See http://www.ontrackdatarecovery.com/photo-recovery/.)
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2007, 5:54 AM   #7

well, if you must know, we dug it out, just think logically about the placement of it and put some force underneath it...OR do the SMART thing and take it into the shop to get it taken out
Old Sep 11, 2007, 7:53 AM   #8

What happened to akashmhappened to me last night. For the first time I inserted a memory stick PRO Duo by Sony into my laptopmemory card reader andit got stuck, after some picking and poking I finally got it out.

Now when I insert my XD memory card, my laptop does not read it. All I hear is a noise and see a small light showing that it can read that something is being inserted but it's not finding the drive. Seconds later it doesn't read anything at all.

I looked inside the memory slot and I see those gold stripes, my question is- were any of those supposed to be sticking up? I noticed 4 or 5 of them sticking up and maybe that's why my laptop isn't reading my XD card.

I tried pushing them down using tweezers but it's not working, they are still sticking up. Any idea on this? Would I have to get it fixed or get the whole card reader replaced? I'm not sure how it's going to get replaced because it looks like the reader cannot be taken out! Thanks.
toshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2007, 3:00 AM   #9

hey toshi, yeh those gold things stickin up inside the laptops memory card reader i tihnk happened from when you tried wrenching out the memory card....

cause it looks like the gold strips inside the reader are facing forward, and when u puitthe memory card in, and then u tried to pull it out, they got pulled up when you pulled it out..if you get me...

have you fixed your memory card yet?
Old Sep 12, 2007, 7:22 AM   #10

Hi akashm, thanks for your reply.

I get you on that. I'm pretty sure that's how it all started. My memory card works fine, it's just the reader that's having problems. I inserted my XD card into the reader and now I am getting a prompt asking me if I want to format the disk because it says that it needs to be formatted, so I clicked 'yes' to see if that would work--it didn't work, the reader recognized that a card was inserted but it says it cannot locate the drive or the disk..something like that. Not sure what elseto do...I guess I'll have to take it to a pro and have it fixed.
toshi is offline   Reply With Quote