Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Sep 4, 2007, 12:20 PM   #1

Hello,

I just bought an S5...now I need to get an SD card. A few questions:

-what size of card should I get -at this point will only be taking pictures no video

-I've heard that your shutter speed can be impacted by the type of card you have; someone recommended I stay away from the cheapie cards and go with one with a fast processing/transfer speed; any suggestions.

Auto:|
auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 4, 2007, 1:26 PM   #2
Administrator

A good bet would probably be something like a 2GB Sandisk Extreme III. Bang for the buck is pretty good for that one right now.

If you read the last page of your models review here, you'll see comments on it's performance and what memory card was used for the tests. I see a 4GB SDHC card was used. Steve goes into things like autofocus speed, cycle times between photos in different modes and more.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_..._s5is_pg6.html

I don't know if an Extreme III would be faster than the Kingston 4GB SDHC card used to test it or not.

But, a 2GB card can use a FAT (FAT16 for a 2GB Card) versus FAT32 file system (as needed on cards larger than 2GB). So, sometimes they're a bit faster and the Sandisk Extreme III is a pretty fast card anyway (for a legitimate card, not a fake). ;-_

As inexpensive as they are now, I'd probably just get one like this:

Sandisk Extreme III Secure Digital Card Prices

It looks like Adorama has 'em for around $31. I'd probably go with them over Amazon.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2007, 2:34 PM   #3

Thanks; I need to do some further research; to start I was probably going to get a basic 2gb SD card and then build from there.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 7:05 PM   #4

auto wrote:
Quote:
Thanks; I need to do some further research; to start I was probably going to get a basic 2gb SD card and then build from there.
I'd start in the other direction. You can get an SD card that's too slow. You can't get an SD card that's too fast.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2007, 5:37 AM   #5

Thanks but I will buy what I can afford and need for the time being; prices on memory continue to drop:homey:
Old Sep 5, 2007, 10:44 AM   #6
Administrator

Well, one reason I suggested the 2GB Extreme III was because the 2GB Ultra II (a slower card, but probably still as fast in this model) is selling for about the same price now from most dealers (the 2GB Extreme III is only $30.95 now at adorama.com).

So, with virtually no price difference, it would make sense to go with the faster card from my perspective. ;-) You may not see a lot of difference with a slower card (slower than either one of these), depending on what you're shooting though. Faster cards come in handy if you want to take a lot of photos in bursts without waiting on the camera.

With a fast card, this model can continue to take photos until the card is full without slowing down. I don't know how it would work with a slower card. You'd have to try one to find out. Personally, I'd spend a few extra bucks and buy a fast card (Ultra II or faster) to be on the safe side, since you never know if you'll want to take a lot of photos in a row (for example, sports type action).

Old Sep 5, 2007, 12:18 PM   #7

Add $30 shipping cost and it becomes not all that attractive of a total cost - will stick with my original plan; thanks anyways.
Old Sep 5, 2007, 12:22 PM   #8
Administrator

$30 shipping cost? Adorama shows $5 to me. That works out to $35.95 delivered for a Sandisk 2GB Extreme III ($30.95 for the card + $5.00 shipping).

Circuit City has the 2GB Ultra II for $29.95. But, by the time you pay sales tax on it, it would probably be just as easy to get the faster Extreme III and pay shipping, unless you're in a location that it's much higher to ship to for some reason.

Old Sep 5, 2007, 1:16 PM   #9

Yep I don't live in the U S of A....so the shipping cost is 30 bucks.