Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Oct 20, 2007, 1:42 AM   #1

I just purchesed a A720, and would like to know which SD card overall would be best for the camera. Would the Ultimat III benifit me over Ultra II, and do I need more than 2GB. I will be going on vacation, and will take about 1000 high res shots. Thanks

Stu
stuart5936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 20, 2007, 5:04 AM   #2

Congrats on your new camera. I don't know which speed SD card you should buy, but if you plan on taking 1,000 pictures, and you shoot in the Large/super fine level (and I can't imagine why you wouldn't), you will need at least 4 GB to store all your pics...and that doesn't leave any room for video. In addition, since your new cam will only take about 400 pics per charge using NiMH batteries, make sure you have a couple sets of good batteries and bring a charger with you.

Have fun.

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2007, 6:25 AM   #3

Thank you, that was very helpful. I will take it under consideration.

Stu
stuart5936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2007, 12:26 PM   #4

Same question for a different camera (hope this is appropriate, pointer welcome).

I've shot film for 50+ years -- dinosaur, I still carry a Leica IIIc or IIIf or Pentax KX, regularly, mostly outdoor/botany field photography. I've been using a Nikon film scanner to digitize from film. But it gets fiddly and I'm getting older.

I bought a lightly used Panasonic FZ5 yesterday, figuring it'd be a decent test of whether the point-and-shoot idea can work for me.

I know I'll want a bigger -- and faster -- memory card.
It now comes with one 512mb SD (and the 16mb original).

How are SD card speeds rated? I've seen "Class 2" and "65x" but don't know what they mean, haven't found a summary page to help me know what's what.

Where can I find get info to identify the fastest card useful in this camera?

(Edits:
-- found a summary on available cards here (not specific answers about the camera's ability to use them, but useful on speed and hardiness):
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...e.asp?cid=6007

One posting said the FZ5 handles cards up to 1GB -- but that's second hand.

And on speed, others have asked the same question here earlier:
There are 133x speed cards. Any spec on the FZ5, can it use that speed card?

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...p;forum_id=52#

ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2007, 6:57 PM   #5

Hi Ankh,

SD memory cards - a novel could be written. Overall SD memory cards are small computer solid state memory devices - i.e., small computer disk drives. They come in essentially 2 logical formats SD and SDHC, the difference being how the pictures are stored on the cards by the camera. The SD cards usually handle upto 2GB using an old windows disk format. The SDHC holds greater than 2GB and uses a new windows disk format. [that is the simple story without the gory details].

The speeds that you see 40x, 60x, 133x, 150x etc are data transfer speeds that the card can handle. Now just because the card says it can handle the transfer speed does not mean that the camera can actually drive the transfer speed. Usually faster is better and more expensive. There is a whole set of science that tests the cards on how fast it can transfer (both read and write) data (pictures) to the card.

'Class 6' speed compliant, meaning they have a guaranteed minimum write speed of 6 MB/sec, they are capable of burst speeds of up to 20 MB/sec. Also class 4 is I 4 MB/sec minimum and so forth.

However, if the camera is not capable then your spendig money for capability that you will not be using.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/PanasonicFZ5/page2.asp
The FZ5 only supports FAT16 formatted cards, meaning the biggest card you can use is 1GB.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/PanasonicFZ5/page4.asp
Take a look at the above link - it contains data that you are asking for. The media used for these tests was a 512MB SanDisk Extreme (aka Ultra II) SD card. .

With write times averaging around 3 seconds for a 5MP TIFF, the FZ5 is pretty fast - approximately 4800KB/s.

So the largest SD card you can use are 1BG cards - They usually go for about $10/GB or less for standard speeds - $20/GB for high speed cards. I am not really brand sensitive. It appears that the camera is able to write at 4.8MB/s, so you would want a class 4 or class 6 card. However, that is only useful if you are doing bursts of images, otherwise - do you really care if it takes an extra second to store (and with the camera buffer it will only matter if you have a large set of images waiting to be stored to the memory card).

Essentially I would get 1GB 150x cards. The class ratings are fairly new and I do not /have not been following if they are used on the lower capacity cards (2GB and under).

Hope that helps....

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2007, 8:24 PM   #6

Definitely helps, thanks.
> Class 4 or Class 6
meaning there's no Class 5, I guess?
I've seen "50x" and "130x" or thereabouts, does that match up to those two classes? Anyhow I'll try to sort it out from here.

Paying a little more for the fastest card is a way not to have to think about waiting for the camera. Being used to a rangefinder Leica (with a baseplate fast-winder on it) I'm used to assuming the camera will respond right away.

Thanks!
ankh is offline   Reply With Quote