Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Oct 25, 2007, 10:19 AM   #11

About a year ago I ended up getting a netgear storage device that holds 2 hard drives and contact to my wirless router (also a netgear). I ended up purttimg 2x 500GB hard drives into for photo storage. I think changed one of the drives to have a 100GB portion and a 400GB portion... 900GB for photos and 100GB to backup my laptop. With the way I shoot 900GB is about 9 years (3 years filled now). I got the drives for undr $200 a piecve at the time.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2007, 10:32 AM   #12
Administrator

I'm using external USB attached drives for backups now.

I just copy entire partitions to it in the form of image files using a Linux utility designed for that purpose. That way, in the event of a failure, I can just replace a bad drive and copy the partition images back to a new drive.

I tend to rearrange the partitions in my PCs internal drives fairly often anymore (since I usually have XP Pro and more than one Linux distribution installed and test new versions of many Linux distros relatively often). But, right this minute, my NTFS partition with XP on it is almost full. So, I'm either going to spend some time rearranging my partitions again and/or buy larger drives.

I'm glad I'm not into video editing. Still images take up enough space. :-)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2007, 2:11 PM   #13

Yes still images take up a lot of space. 100GB a year is a lot of space.

dave
Old Oct 25, 2007, 3:05 PM   #14
Administrator

Of course, lawsuits might make flash memory pricing more interesting, too. :-)

Sandisk Enforces Memory Patents

Old Oct 25, 2007, 7:58 PM   #15

Get themon sale while you can......

dave
Old Oct 25, 2007, 8:36 PM   #16

JimC wrote:
Quote:
At the time I bought it, I didn't think I'd ever fill up my first hard disk drive either (a full height 5MB Seagate). ...
I recall lusting after a drive that big to replace my 1500 baud tape drive. Was yours the kind the size of a largish toaster or the one that was the size of a small fridge?
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2007, 9:00 PM   #17
Administrator

It's not that big (it's just a Segate 5MB full height 5.25" hard drive and it mounted just fine inside of a standard case using one of the typical power supply connectors).

I've still got that drive. I've still got the PC, too. But, I upgraded the motherboard to a "Turbo" motherboard a long time ago. lol It's got 640KB of RAM, a Western Digital Controller card for the hard drive, battery backed clock calendar card (quit working a long time ago), Hercules compatible Mono Graphics Card and more. I fire it up every once in a great while.

Old Oct 26, 2007, 8:58 AM   #18

Hi,

I just joined the club, snot a pro, I've just bought a Fuji s 9100, do you know what kind of memorycard + what speedi would need, i shoot max 500 pics a year

Eross1414
Eross1414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2007, 2:54 PM   #19

I've got an S-9100. You can use with an xD card or a Compact Flash Card. In fact the camera has twoslots built in and you can have one of each cards installed and can shoot to either loaded slot. Ihave a 2GBsandisc Ultra II compact flash card and a PQI 100x compact fash card and also 3x 1GB xD cards H series. All of the card seem to be of equal speed in the camera but the Ultra II card is the fastest when it comes to transfer pictures to my computer via USB 2.0 memory card reader.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 4:20 PM   #20
Administrator

JimC wrote:
Quote:
I'm now seeing very fast 16GB CompactFlash Cards at $119.99 (which works out to about $7.50/GB). I can remember paying $119 for a 128MB card some years back.

Transcend 16GB CompactFlash Card for $119.99 at newegg.com
Oops. My mistake. It wasn't $119 for a 128MB card.

I paid around $289 for a 128MB CompactFlash Card some years back. Here's an old receipt. :-)

Attached Images