Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Oct 24, 2007, 6:59 PM   #1
Administrator

I'm now seeing very fast 16GB CompactFlash Cards at $119.99 (which works out to about $7.50/GB). I can remember paying $119 for a 128MB card some years back.

Transcend 16GB CompactFlash Card for $119.99 at newegg.com

This card is UDMA (Ultra DMA) capable and Transcend claims average read speeds up to 45MB/Second and write speeds up to 21.5MB/Second

http://www.transcendusa.com/Press/in...&PrsNo=787

At that price (working out to around $7.50/GB), I couldn't resist trying one. I've got one on the way now.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 24, 2007, 7:16 PM   #2

I remember when I had an olympus C-700 camera that only used smart media cards paying over $100 for my first 128MB card to use on a trip to Nashville before their were any big portable memory card harddrives on the market. My parents thought having access to take almost 300 pictures was overkill at the time. They were used to taking 24 on a roll of film and that was it for the vacation.

Oh how things have changed, now people want to be able to take 300 to 500 photos on their vacation and need to back them up in multiple places before they even get home.

I recenltly got a 4GB compact flash card from newegg (pqi brnad 100x speed) for $39.

Any predictions of a 20GB or 24GB card down the pike?

dave

Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2007, 7:20 PM   #3
Administrator

32GB Cards will probably be $119 before you know it (since that's what I just paid for a 16GB Card). Isn't technology nice? ;-)

Old Oct 25, 2007, 5:55 AM   #4

JimC wrote:
Quote:
32GB Cards will probably be $119 before you know it (since that's what I just paid for a 16GB Card). Isn't technology nice? ;-)
Don't you wish lens prices worked the same way?:G
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2007, 6:10 AM   #5
Administrator

Some lenses are becoming less expensive per millimeter while memory cards are becoming less expensive per megabyte. lol But, I don't think their speed is increasing the way the speed of flash memory is. ;-)

Old Oct 25, 2007, 7:03 AM   #6
Administrator

It's also a real good thing that hard disk prices are continuing to come down. I'm going to need some new hard drives soon, too. ;-)

The last two times I've been out shooting with the new Sony Alpha 700, I filled up a 2GB card in no time flat (or so it seemed). You can eat up a lot of storage space fast with some of these newer cameras shooting raw + jpeg.

At the time I bought it, I didn't think I'd ever fill up my first hard disk drive either (a full height 5MB Seagate).

Now, one image shooting raw + jpeg eats up several times it's capacity. lol

Old Oct 25, 2007, 7:33 AM   #7
Administrator

P.S.

What's even more interesting, is that this Transcend may end up being considered a "slow" card in my new Sony DSLR-A700. I'm seeing user tests showing buffer flush speeds of around of around 27MB/Second to a Sandisk Extreme IV in one. Now, that's fast write speeds to media :-)

Most cards that are UDMA capable are rated as 266x or 300x cards, and this one is rated at 133x. Interesting.

According to Transcend's press release, it's dual mode (supports both dual-channel transfer and UDMA mode 4):

Quote:
To ensure ultimate compatibility and speed, it operates in both dual-channel transfer and the Ultra DMA mode 4 standard. Transcend's 133X CF cards achieve extraordinary average read/write speeds of up to 45MB/21.5MB per second

http://www.transcendusa.com/Press/in...&PrsNo=787

So, I'm hoping that it might be even faster in a camera supporting UDMA (the new Sony Alpha 700 does). If not, no big deal. I don't expect a $119 16GB Card to be as fast as an Extreme IV. I couldn't find any user tests of one. So, I'll have to wait and find out how fast it is in this camera when it gets here.

Old Oct 25, 2007, 7:41 AM   #8

Well we appreciate you blazing the trail Jim. I've been using Extreme IIIs but if this card works out well for you I may have to consider it - the thought of not having to change cards during an event is a nice one - nothing like firing off 700-800 shots in an afternoon of soccer games. I just wish Canon had included 2 CF slots instead of 1 CF and one SD - I don't own SD cards and was hoping to stay away from them (i've got a number of CF cards though so it would have been nice to be able to load up 2 of them). One nice thing is the camera will let you do different set-ups so if you're shooting RAW+jpeg you could send one to each card if you preferred or keep them together and just use the 2nd card as a fail-over.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2007, 7:57 AM   #9
Administrator

Quote:
I just wish Canon had included 2 CF slots instead of 1 CF and one SD
Yes, I feel the same way about this new Sony.

It supports both Memory Stick Duo and CompactFlash in separate card slots. I'd have preferred two CompactFlash card slots instead.

This Sony is my third camera with two slots if memory serves. The first camera I bought with two slots was an Olympus C-2500L. It had slots for both CompactFlash and Smartmedia.

I've still got a Konica Revio KD-510z (a.k.a., Minolta DiMAGE G500) with more than one slot. It supports Secure Digital and Sony Memory Stick. I usually keep both types in it when I use it (it automatically switches between them if one gets full and you can copy between them).

Now, I've got the Sony DSLR-A700 with CompactFlash and Memory Stick Duo support. lol

Old Oct 25, 2007, 8:36 AM   #10
Administrator

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
One nice thing is the camera will let you do different set-ups so if you're shooting RAW+jpeg you could send one to each card if you preferred or keep them together and just use the 2nd card as a fail-over.
Yes, that is a nice feature. The new Nikon D3 has two CompactFlash card slots and can be setup that way, too (raw to one card, jpeg to the other).

That's good, since you'll have images in the event of a card failure shooting that way (plus, you're probably speeding up the camera's flush times since it's probably writing to two cards at the same time).

I don't think my Sony can do that (raw to one card, jpeg to the other) if you have both CF and MS Duo in it. If so, I haven't noticed it, but I haven't dug into all of the available camera options yet.