Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Nov 3, 2007, 6:20 PM   #1

I bought a Sandisk Extreme USB Reader to replace my generic one which was a tad slow for me. However, it does not work, and Sandisk says it should.
When I put my SD card in, it asks to format the card first. The SD card works on my generic card reader, which itself also works in Vista. The Sandisk reader's lights come on when the card is inserted, and the card is detected since it wants to format it... I've tried a bunch of different USB ports, rebooting with card in, etc... no go!
Anyone experienced this and found a fix?
TigerLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 4, 2007, 9:38 PM   #2

I would try a search for a firmware upgrade for the card reader/driver.

Also if you can try to use the card reader on another windows vista computer (a friends or one at work etc).

Personally I haven't used visita yet because my employeer hasn't installed it and has no plans to do so at this time. Our last batch of machines were motorola and Durabook laptops and they wee all ordered with Windows XP Pro on them.

dave

Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2007, 3:09 PM   #3
Administrator

What brand/size card are you trying to use?

It may not be a Vista issue.

*Most* Secure Digital card readers do *not* support SDHC cards. So, you have to make sure the reader is compatible with the card type you want to use.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2007, 4:46 PM   #4

I use Extreme III 2GB cards
TigerLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2007, 5:07 PM   #5
Administrator

Oh well....... just a stab in the dark.

I'd try it on a different PC (i.e., operating system) and see if it works or not to rule out a defective reader versus Vista issue. I don't use Vista (and it's unlikely that I ever will). So, I can't be of much help there.

Most readers are "USB Mass Storage Compliant" and don't need additional drivers to work in most operating systems. But, I wouldn't rule out anything with Vista.

You may also want to remove any other devices from the USB bus that could be causing a conflict (sometimes USB attached printers can cause issues with some readers). I'd also try a different USB Port (back versus front panel if they are in more than one physical location)

Have you tried contacting Sandisk?

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote