Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Nov 7, 2007, 9:07 AM   #1

the 4 gig memory card registers that i can get 1388 photos on the card at the best settings. when i have taken about 100 shots and try to review the photos i get the message that "no file data" is available for the photos taken after 100. could this card be too large for my camera. i have formatted the card in the camera. i have tried with a 256 mgb and it seems ok. i also installed a lot of files on the card via a card reader and that seemed ok.any help would be appreciated.:|
busdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 7, 2007, 2:13 PM   #2
Administrator

What brand of memory card are you using? If it's a Sandisk, are you sure it's not a fake (many of the Sandisk labeled cards from Ebay and cheaper vendors are fakes).

Your Coolpix L12 is SDHC compliant (meaning that it should be fine with larger cards that support the SDHC specification).

Nikon has a list of approved cards here:

Nikon Approved Memory Cards for the Coolpix L12

But, many other cards would probably work, too.

Did you format the card using the camera's menu choice for format prior to using it? I'd do that as a first step to make sure it's not a basic issue with the way it's formatted.

Quote:
also installed a lot of files on the card via a card reader and that seemed ok.any help would be appreciated.
That's a real good way to corrupt the File Allocation Table if you're not very careful. Operating systems tend to cache writes to media, depending on the driver and the way it's configured. So, if you don't use the "Safely remove hardware" icon with some readers, it can lead to corruption.

As a rule, I *always* format a memory card using a camera's menu choice for format prior to *every* single reuse (no exceptions). That insures that I start out with a fresh File Allocation Table, just the way the camera expects it (since it's performing the format).

I'd see if formatting it via the camera's menus solves the problem. If not, it could be an incompatible or defective card.

I see where you formatted it in the camera. But, was the camera the only device writing to the card since you did that?

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote