Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Nov 10, 2007, 5:48 PM   #1

I came across this in a couple of technical journals, but Wired had the best general write-up. It's a 2GB SD card with a built in Wi-Fi link, that after taking pictures, automatically links to a designated computer and automatically (when your within range) transfers the images to a computer hard disk or one of 17 Internet photo vendors (like Facebook or Flickr) and then you are able to filter what gets published. I have read elsewhere that it might go for about $100, a bit high - but grandma would not have to futz with a computer to get the images out of the camera.

http://www.wired.com/gadgets/wireles.../2007/11/eyefi
http://www.eye.fi/

... and no I do not have any association with the product.....
... also, I have not read anything about this here on Steve's
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 10, 2007, 6:22 PM   #2
Administrator

Quote:
I have read elsewhere that it might go for about $100, a bit high - but grandma would not have to futz with a computer to get the images out of the camera.
That is, if she's willing to wait about 3 hours for a card full of images to transfer due to it's *very* slow speed, and if the camera battery lasts that long, and if she's close enough to her wireless access point to get a signal with it, provided she configured it for her wireless properly using their software (since you have to pre-configure it for the access point you're using), etc. ;-)

Phil Askey just reviewed it over at dpreview.com. It's got it's drawbacks (as you'd expect for such a tiny device with no external antenna). I just don't see it as being very practical for modern cameras with larger file sizes, unless they can figure out a way to increase throughput dramatically. Instead, "grandma" would probably be better off just plugging the camera into the computer with a USB cable and save all of the time waiting on it to transfer the images wirelessly if she didn't want to use a card reader. ;-)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote