Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Nov 11, 2007, 7:19 AM   #1

Can you transfer pictures from a computer to an SD Card? or even a SD card to another SD Card?

Thanks

Jeff
jwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 11, 2007, 9:54 AM   #2
Administrator

If you use a card reader, it should show up under "My Computer", just like any other disk drive.

So, yes, you can copy and paste images from your PC's hard drive to the card. Note that your camera may not be able to display them, though. That's because many cameras are picky about the images (they have to be unaltered from the originals before they display properly, and will need to be in their original folders). This varies by camera model.

But, if you're just trying to copy some photos to a card for printing (many Kiosks have card readers now), or moving images between PCs. you should not have a problem using one that way.

I would use the "Safely Remove" icon after copying any images if you see one in your system tray. That's because some drivers cache writes to media (so, you can end up with corruption if a card reader's driver is not setup for "Fast Removal" and a card is removed before the cache is flushed to media). This will vary by Card Reader (how the drivers are installed by default).

I'd also suggest reformatting the card via the camera's menu choice for format prior to reusing it again if you do use one for transferring images.

As for transferring images between two SD Cards, yes, if you have two card readers. ;-) If not, just copy the images from one card to a folder on your hard drive, then paste them back to the another card after you remove the first card and insert the second card in your card reader.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2007, 11:11 AM   #3

JimC wrote:
Quote:
I would use the "Safely Remove" icon after copying any images if you see one in your system tray....
You can also right-click on the drive's icon in the Windows Explorer and select Eject on the context menu. The result is the same, except the driver stays loaded, so, if you re-insert the card (during the same session), the driver won't have to re-load, and you can use the card sooner. And if you never re-insert the card, it doesn't matter.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2007, 6:53 AM   #4

Thanks!. I will try this today.

Jeff
jwalker is offline   Reply With Quote