Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Nov 14, 2007, 6:48 AM   #1

Ill be getting a canon xt soon and it takes compact flash cards, i was thinking of getting a 2gb one but i dont know what speed to get so that it doesnt slow down the camera, ne suggestions?
xiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 14, 2007, 7:18 AM   #2
Administrator

What camera model will it be used in?

I'd lean towards the major manufacturers (for example, Sandisk or Lexar). Personally, I've got cards from Sandisk, PQI, Lexar, Transcend and others that I've had no problems with.

But, the camera model you plan on using the camera in plays a role in what the "best bang for the buck" is going to be, since not all cameras can take advantage of the latest fast cards.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2007, 7:22 AM   #3

I don't know about the XT but the XTi has a pretty large buffer so the card performance is not that important. It only matters when the buffer is full which usually only happens after shooting lots of jpeg pictures or a few RAWs in burst mode.

Twister336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2007, 9:42 PM   #4

A 2GB Sandisc Ultra II compact flash card should do you well. I've been using one in my Fuji S-9110 since May without any problems at all. I use it at least 4 times a week and it always keeps up with my rapid shooting style (well it works as fast as the camera can)

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2007, 6:37 AM   #5

B&H sells the Sandisk 2GB Ultra II CF card for $40, and the Sandisk 2GB Extreme III CF card for $45.

Buying a card that may be faster than your camera is not a problem, and while it might be faster than your current camera, it might be just right for your next camera.

Sospending too much won't cause any problems (except financially), but spending too little definately will.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2007, 6:56 AM   #6

thank you thats what i was looking at before and now i know what to get!
xiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2007, 3:17 PM   #7

I found a Kingston 1 GBSD card for $8.99 at office depot and was wondering if they are any good? I will be using it in my Sanyo VPC-E1 Waterproof Camcorder. Thanks for any info...

HoldNon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2007, 10:14 PM   #8

B&H sells the same card for $8.95.

It's a slow card so I would be wary of using it to record videos.
Old Nov 16, 2007, 10:29 PM   #9

Ok thanks for the info on the kingston SD card. So what do you recomend i use for recording video onto?

What brand 1GB card would work well? I know I can Use SD or SDHC just not sure what to buy.

Thnaks for any info...

HoldNon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2007, 8:20 AM   #10

The Sanyo website says:

"The result is high-quality video recording up to a total of 10 hours of full motion video with an 8 GB SDHC memory card (TV-HQ mode). The Xacti E1 can also record up to a total of 5 hours of video with a 4 GB SDHC memory card, up to 2.5 hours with a standard 2GB SD card, and up to 1.25 hours with a standard SD card."

[I believe they left out the "1 GB" in that last part.]

Sanyo says the Xacti E1 will work with SDHC cards up to 8GB, and that it has an 18MB internal buffer. It does not say what speed SD card to use, and its buffer may well allow you to use standard SD cards. And if all you'll be doing is capturing short video clips, the buffer may be able to handle a relatively slow SD card. But if you intend to capture longer videos, I suggest you get something along the lines of the SanDisk Ultra II, Lexar Platinum, or Kingston Elite, anything that's Class 4 or better, or 40x or better.

But I suggest you post this question in the Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicamsforum to get teh opinion of someone that might be familiar with the Xacti E1.