Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Sep 4, 2003, 1:29 PM   #1

Default Is a reader the same as a reader/writer

I'm new to this...
Are all CF card readers, writers as well?
I want to be able to download pics, edit them, and upload back to the card to get them printed at the local camera shop. Is this a basic function of this type of media, like a disk drive?

Thanks,
Ti3m
Ti3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 4, 2003, 10:25 PM   #2
Administrator

Yes, any relatively new card reader can be used to read or write to/from the memory card. They appear as a removable drive and you can copy, move or delete files using Windows Explorer.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2003, 11:34 PM   #3

If your computer supports it, make sure its USB2. The speed advantage is HUGE over USB1.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2003, 10:12 AM   #4

Default USB1 or 2

How can I tell if my computer supports USB2?

If it only supports USB1 and I buy a USB2 reader will the reader work at the USB1 speed until I upgrade my computer system?
Ti3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2003, 2:09 PM   #5

USB2 devices are backwards compatable, so they should still work.

As to how to tell.... I'm not exactly sure.

Do you know the make and model of your computer? You could look it up on the manufacturers web site. If you built it yourself, you could look up the motherboard (by make and model) and see what it lists. You could also try to go into the motherboard BIOS and see what they list there. But definitely don't change anything without knowing what you are doing. You could make your machine very unstable (or not even work) if you touch anything in there. My suggestion would be that you can look around in there, but when you leave make sure you touch select "save and exit." Often they have just an "exit" option as well. That might ask "you have changed something, save before exiting?" (or something similar.) Say NO, unless you really know what you are doing.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote