Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Dec 4, 2007, 8:28 PM   #1

I am starting to see a huge discrepency between prices of the same memory and speed. I have also noticed that camera prices fluctuate like the stock market. I just recently purchased this card, whichalso comes with a reader:

4GB SDHC Class 6 with card reader, high capacity by A-data technology.

A-DATA TECHNOLOGY:

4GB SDHC CLASS 6 WITH CARD READER 37.99

Do we know if there is a difference in quality or are these just outsourced manufactureres like the rest getting a good deal?
ocrob38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 5, 2007, 6:22 AM   #2

Name doesn't matter entirely.

I've got Lexar Platinum II, SanDisk Extreme III and Kingston Ultimate CF cards, and, based on somequick& dirtytests I did, the fastest card I own is a PNY that was roughly half the cost.

But if name didn't matter at all, nobody would bother counterfeiting SanDisk cards.

Edit: Please read my post below, and Retraction: PNY is not my fastest CF Card
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2007, 7:00 PM   #3

Name is mostly marketing. Both Sandisk and Lexar do a LOT of advertizing. In some cases it may be worth the extra money to buy the *top end* cards, but for most uses probably not.

I don't have any Lexar cards, but I do have a few Sandisk (not top end) cards. Most of my other cards are Transcend and Q-Data and perform just as well as my Sandisk.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2007, 7:37 PM   #4

I bought a 2GB Ultra II sandisc card when I got my Fuji S-9100 on the advice of a sports photographer in my area. A week later i wanted a backup CF card so I looked around and found for only $4 I could get a 4GB 100x PQI CF card. The PQI card works just as well as the sandisc card does and it has double the space for $4 more.

IU was so impressed with the PQI card that 2 months later i went back and tried to get another one but have not been able to locate the exact card again.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2007, 9:10 AM   #5

Which is the best card for Canon S3 IS? I have two Sandisk Ultra II 1GB, now I like Extreme III, is it wasteful?
ihavenothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2007, 8:00 PM   #6

Absolutely not. Faster cards may not give substantial increases in performance in your current digicam, but may in your next, and the difference in price between the Ultra II and Extreme III isn't enough to worry about it.
Old Dec 8, 2007, 1:08 PM   #7

Also faster cards may upload your photos faster to your OC depending on the card reader used and that can save a lot of time in th elong especially if you take a lot of photos.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2007, 12:21 PM   #8

Just found this discussion today. I've been lurking around the hybrids forum for a bit, but I think this is the first time I've looked inside the memory card forum.

I've wondered about this brand issue myself, having had two Lexar CF cards go bad during a period of time that I've used a Viking card (even took pictures at a concert once with this card) with no problems at all.
Also have a SanDisk CF card that hasn't given me any problems that I can recall.

I've been using a couple of PNY SD cards recently (in my hybrids) that so far haven't had any problems.

I will say that customer service/tech support at Lexar was good when I contacted them. When the second card went bad on me I sent it back to them, they recovered the contents and burned them to a CD, which they sent and also included a new CF card. I prefer to stick with the Viking or the SanDisk, though, when I use my camera that takes CF cards.

Unfortunately, I have a 128MB Kodak CF card that I bought before I noticed it had been made by Lexar. I only use it if I run out of space on the other cards and need to switch quickly.
No_Seriously is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2007, 2:44 PM   #9

In an earlier post, I stated that I have multiple cards and that a card from PNY was the fastest. I did some more testing, and have posted the results in Retraction: PNY is not my fastest CF Card

Not only is the PNY card not my fastest, it's my slowest.
Old Dec 28, 2007, 2:45 PM   #10

Oops. My bad.