Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Dec 18, 2007, 5:29 PM   #1

Next January my company is sending me on a week long trip to the coffee growing highlands of Mexico to capture high res images of coffee production from seedlings to finished product. I'm just an enthusiastic amateur but have shot enough great photos for the company over the years with my Nikon D1x that one of my collateral duties has become that of unofficial corporate paparazzi. When I asked how the images were to be used to get some idea of what resolution they were looking for I was told "Pretend each one is going to be used as a poster in the executive boardroom."

No pressure!

I pointed out that the D1x is only a 5 megapixel camera. No problem; they bought me a new D80 body! Of course all my lenses fit, so I'm pleased as can be. But the flash cards I have for the D1x don't fit, so I need new memory. I was thinking of getting four 4GB cards, figuring 16GM ought to do me just fine, but there are so many other options out there in the form of digital storage devices with a card reader built in and a big LCD on front that maybe I ought to get one of those and a pair of 2GB cards.

I'd never run out of room with 40GB to play with, but are they worth the $$$?
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 18, 2007, 5:36 PM   #2

I suspect that you'll have a laptop with you as well. (If you hadn't planned on it, I suggest you do.) Why not just bring along a card reader? ... or two?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2007, 5:43 PM   #3

TCav wrote:
Quote:
I suspect that you'll have a laptop with you as well. (If you hadn't planned on it, I suggest you do.) Why not just bring along a card reader? ... or two?
Sorry, should have mentioned that. No laptops. No computer access for the entire week. This is basically a week trip along rough backcountry roads with camera and a couple changes of clothing.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 5:48 PM   #4

Boondox wrote:
Quote:
... This is basically a week trip along rough backcountry roads ...
... via mule?

Even if you can't charge a laptop via a cigarette lighter, they make solar panels for laptop computers. Unless you're headed for the Poles, there's no place you can't charge a laptop if you plan ahead.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 5:53 PM   #5

I won't have a laptop. Period. No dice. Nada. What are my other options?
Old Dec 18, 2007, 6:03 PM   #6

There's these kinds of devices:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/shop/3...a_Storage.html

Some of them use rechargeable batteries (I presume those are out as well), so be sure to check first.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 6:36 PM   #7

It looks like your gonna need to find a way to charge the camera batteries over the course of the week. I would strongly suggest the Wolverine flashpack 7000 series and from my experience a 40GB unit should be enough for a week, but the battery charge in it will last between 5 and 8GB of uploads depending on the size of the cards you use. Ypu will most likely need to charge it a few times. A Full charge in my experience will take about 5 hours.

If you won't have acess to an AC power outlet to use and or charge the wolverine dsevice then you better take at least 20GB in memory cards just to be safe. I'd use a pair of 8GB and a 2GB - sandisc ultra IIs will hold up to hot Mexican weather.

I personally took a trip to Baltimore last summer and didn't feel safe taking a laptop with me because I wasn't gonna be in the hotel room much and didn't want to lug it with me all day long. SoI got a 60GB wolverine flashpack 7000 seires device. I had several 1GB xD cards and a 2GB CF card. I generally offloaded my cards each night at the hotel room and used the AC charger to power it. I was attending a fire-rescue convention with a massive finale parade and also toured the Baltimore innerharbor area for 5 days. I ended up with 17GB of photos (didn't really delete any before they hit the computer screen and I tookmany duplicates of special items just to make sure I got the exposure correct). I ended up editing down to just under 9GB (2 DVDs). Shooting over 5 days -- 80% of photos at 5mp and 20% at 9MP wuth aFuji S-9100.

Also i would stongly suggest you shoot at the highest resolution period een though it may add to the file size. That way the company can make the largest prints possible or you can crop without loosing quality.

Let me know what you decide to do and if my advice is helpful.

Ihope this helps

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2007, 6:54 PM   #8

I have a 40GB Flashtrax XT & it's great (& idiot proof) for transferring CF cards to the drive. It's also my portable Portfolio now & plays MP3's if you feel the need.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 8:32 PM   #9

Great advice, Dave & Kalypso. Thanks!

It looks like I'll have a hotel on day 3 and again on days 5 & 6 so will have a way of recharging batteries now and then. My reasons for not wanting a laptop are partly security and partly the weight since I'll have to carry everything with me at all times. Since daytime temps hit the 70s and 80s down there and outside my window right now it's 2 degrees with 3.5 feet of snow on the ground it's likely I'll have some acclimation issues. Heat is tough on Vermonters this time of year.

I'll check out some of those portable storage options. Sure wish there was a way to upload to an iPod, though.
Old Dec 24, 2007, 9:26 PM   #10

There is a way to upload to an ipod as it has been discussed here before but I am not sure how to do it. Do a search fr that topic and also post a new thread an ask can I upload CF cards to an ipod.

Also with my shooting habits in case it helps I use between 2 and 3 sets of AAs (combo of 2300 and 2500mha)on a full day of shooting whenI was in Baltimore. I charged 2 sets every night (i set an alarm for 2:30am and switched the batteries in my 4 hour battery charger). I was carrying 4 sets of batteries plus the set in my camera for the trip, the wolverine 60GB storage device, AC cord for it and memory cards. i keep the AC power cord and battery charger in my suitecase everything else went with my in lowepro nova AW1 camera bag. I always keep the wolverine in the bag and the bag within 4 feet of me at all times.

make sure if you have limited time in the hotel as it sounds like you will have enough chargers to get it all charged up overnight. You may want 2 battery chargers..... Don't cut yoursef short as without battery power and memory card/storage space you won't be able to shoot.

Good Luck on the trip

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote