Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Sep 7, 2003, 8:45 AM   #1

Default Card reader for travel

I need to buy a compact flash card reader for travel in South America and Asia with my G3.

Will computers in Internet cafes in those parts of the world be equiped to take USB 2 or only USB 1? Are there readers that operate on both? Will drivers be required or can I just 'plug and play'?

Any recommendations on a light-weight, versatile reader that addresses the above issues would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dano
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 7, 2003, 9:37 AM   #2

that is dependent on the OS used. and and if they will actually let you even plug it in to their box. as a matter of security and liability for them that might be an issue.

in theory, if they're using XP, a device like a ZIO Hi Speed reader (works both USB 1 and 2 like all other USB devices) should PnP right in. but then again their security measures to protect their equipment might prevent its activation/operation.

pumping a half a gig of data or so through someone elses lines and again guarenteeing its viability is as risky as you can get. you are relying on the fact that their connection is good and that is problematic in certain parts south of the boarder and in asia unless your in major cities and then see my first statement.

i would not rely on this method unless you can guarenty that it is accessable at the locations your going to which i can tell you is highly unlikely.

i hate to admit it but here is where a device like a "digital wallet" would be better. a reasonable size battery powered portable drive(20-30 gig) and 120-240 vac adapters per country plugs and your independent except for recharge. your recharging is dependent on your card size. they run off of plug power too.

another option is to find computer shops that will willing to burn as you go. again risky.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2003, 10:00 AM   #3

Thanks, sjms. I thought about a Digital Wallet, but they won't work because we will be at high altitudes sometimes and the head will crash. I will have extra CF cards and will be bringing some CDs to burn when I hit the bigger cities. Have you had problems with burning CDs in places like Lima, Santiago, Buenos Aries?
Old Sep 7, 2003, 10:16 AM   #4

if your at/below 9000 ft you should have little problem with the digital wallet. realize that if there is a computer being used where you are like at a I cafe there is a HD spinning in it so then the wallets HD should work. if you have enough cards just wait to get to a reasonable altitude. if you ever used a laptop on a plane remember the cabin altitude is between 8000 and 8800 ft.

me, i have more gigs then you can shake a stick at in cf cards and i carry a laptop too.

my biggest problem has been forgetting my country adapter plugs so i have a small collection strewn about my home.
Old Sep 8, 2003, 6:31 PM   #5

Default Card Reader unplug

I just bought the Sandisk card reader and am truly amazed at the transfer speed, even at 1.1 level.

The instructions about unplugging concern me, however. They say that you need to click on the remove hard ware icon before unpluggin the reader.

How critical is this? Do I risk damaging the reader, or the computer? I'm not sure that it will be easy to find this button on foreign computers, with strange keyboards, in Internet cafes around the world.

Thanks,
Dan
Old Sep 8, 2003, 10:30 PM   #6

if your running 98, Me, or 2000 the OS sets up a cache for the drive to speed the xfr. all your doing is letting it know your pulling the plug so dump (close)the cache. XP is a bit smarter its not an issue.
Old Sep 11, 2003, 9:22 PM   #7

Thanks, sjms. Do I risk damage to any component if I pull the reader out without going through that step?

Thanks,
Dano
Old Sep 11, 2003, 10:30 PM   #8

answered thru private mail