Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Dec 25, 2007, 12:31 PM   #1

does any card reader read faster cards such as sandisk ultra or do I have to buy a special card reader for faster cards like this? are there preffered card readers or those I should avoide?
doto41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 25, 2007, 1:37 PM   #2

There are special card readers (firewrire I believe) for sandisc Exterme IV cards. But almost all card readers that have USB 2.0 interface will read Ultra II snadisc cards just fine. I got a card reader at Sams Club in Jan 2007 that was a 12-in-1 model USB 2.0 and it reads my sandisc Ultra II and PQI 100x CF cards just fine. It also reads my 1GB Xd H series card without any problem. However the card reader that was built into my 2003 systemax desktop can readr my sandisc ultra II card but reads it very very very slow. So get the latest card reader you can find and you should be ok.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2007, 1:37 PM   #3
Administrator

What kind of card is it?

The reader will need to support the card type you buy.

For example, newer Memory Stick Duo Pro cards, SDHC Cards, Xd Type H cards and more may require specific support (even though older versions of these cards may work).

CompactFlash usually isn't an issue (most readers will work with any of them). But, when you start getting into other formats, you can run into compability issues. For example, many card readers will not work with Secure Digital Cards over 1GB in size (although sometimes you'll see PC manufacturers supply updates for built in readers with this issue), and *most* card readers won't work with SDHC cards.

So, make real sure the reader you buy specifically supports the card type you want to use (SD, SDHC, Xd Picturecard type M, H, etc.)

Here's one I've seen Steve mention before (works with most popular formats, except for Xd Picturecard). See the data sheet tab on this page:

http://www.kingston.com/flash/15in1.asp?id=2

See Steve's post about it in this thread:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo....php?id=119154

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2007, 2:34 PM   #4

I use 2gb sd cards. I gather It has to say that the reader can cope with this card, otherwise I should assume it does not?
Old Dec 25, 2007, 2:46 PM   #5
Administrator

Most newer readers that support Secure Digital will likely work with a 2GB Ultra II SD Card.

But, some readers won't. A number of card readers do have issues with any SD Cards larger than 1GB. This is a very common problem with some of the built in card readers.

Unfortunately, I don't know how to tell which ones are going to work and which ones won't with non-SDHC cards greater than 1GB, unless you can use Google to search for a specific brand/model of reader and find someone that's had a problem.

See the section on this page about how many readers have problems with SD Cards larger than 1GB (and I've seen a number of posts about that here, too):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_...d_larger_cards

I'd suggest buying a newer card reader with SDHC support. Those will likely work with all non-SDHC Secure Digital cards, including 2GB Cards like that Ultra II, as well as newer 4GB and larger SDHC cards. That way, you'll have a reader that is likely to work with 2GB SD cards, as well as SDHC if you get a larger card later.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2007, 4:30 PM   #6

thank you for your time and useful information. I really appreciate it.