Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jan 7, 2008, 9:46 PM   #1

Hi All,

Memory cards as we all know come in many different speeds, faster the card speed isequals faster write time from camera to card. So does the write speed of a card make a difference to the download times to the computer?

The reason for the question is, I notice that the pictures from my 10 meg pix (new for Christmas) takes twice as long a the old 5 meg pix camera. Make since, seeing as there is twice as much information. Except that the old usesa Sony Memory Stick Pro and the newcamera uses a SanDisk UltraIII CF card which has a much higher speed rating.

Thanks,

Craig
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 7, 2008, 11:27 PM   #2

I have both a 2GB sandisc Ultra II CF card and a 4GB PQI 100x CF card that I regurally use. I use a USB 21.0 12-in-1 memory card reader that I got at Sams Club in jan 2007. Both of these cards tend to download to the laptop at about the same speed. My brother than has one of the eariler 1GB plain Viking brand CF cards (with no speed marked on it that he got in 2004) takes twice as long to upload when he used my card reader at christmas.

for what its worth I hope this helps. Also I know from many past discussions on here that everyone says if you can get a faster card for a few bucks more do so as the download speeds will be improved and if you've got 2GB of photos to download that can be the difference a couple of minutes.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2008, 11:27 PM   #3

I have both a 2GB sandisc Ultra II CF card and a 4GB PQI 100x CF card that I regurally use. I use a USB 21.0 12-in-1 memory card reader that I got at Sams Club in jan 2007. Both of these cards tend to download to the laptop at about the same speed. My brother than has one of the eariler 1GB plain Viking brand CF cards (with no speed marked on it that he got in 2004) takes twice as long to upload when he used my card reader at christmas.

for what its worth I hope this helps. Also I know from many past discussions on here that everyone says if you can get a faster card for a few bucks more do so as the download speeds will be improved and if you've got 2GB of photos to download that can be the difference a couple of minutes.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2008, 7:13 AM   #4

One factor that affects the speed of flash memory cards is the capacity of the cards.

Rob Galbraith's CF/SD Performance Database shows that, often,smaller cards are faster than larger cards of the same brand and model.

You didn't mention the capacities of the cards you were using, but if the "SanDisk UltraIII CF card" [sic]is a higher capacity card than the Sony Memory Stick Pro, that could explain (at least some of) the performace you're seeing.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2008, 12:58 PM   #5

TCav, that is interesting, would have never thought of size causing a difference in download speeds. The Sony card in 1 gig and the CF is two gig, so there is some of the difference in speed right there, who knew.

One of the reason for asking is the UltraII is $20.00 less than the UltraII CF card and thought maybe I could save a bit of money on my next card purchase. Didn't think I would need more than the one 2gig card as itholds over 400 pictures (jpeg) until I read that in RAW it will only hold about 75 pictures. Need more cards at 75 pictures per 2gig a card. The UltraIII was card was a good deal for my first card purchase as it came with a program disk for recovering pictures in case of card error and also came with a small (holds 2 cards) carrying casecan attachto the camera case.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 1:11 PM   #6

I have four 2GB CF cards.

See: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=52

The SanDisk Extreme III and Lexar Platinum II are the fastest, but I keep the Kingston Ultimate II and PNY Optima Pro around just in case. I bought these last two because they were inexpensive, but when I found how slow they were, they got relegated to a second tier status.

If you'll be shooting RAW a lot, speed makes a big difference. I'd buy two fast 2GB cards instead of one fast 4GB card. It may cost slightly more, but the extra speed you'll get from the smaller cards might be worth it.

Edit: ... for spelling.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2008, 1:59 PM   #7

Don't shoot much RAW but that could change once I learn how to use RAW. Sounds like a couple more 2gig UltraIII may be the best way to go for now.

Thanks for the help,

Craig
Old Jan 8, 2008, 7:09 PM   #8

All else being equal, if the two cards are the same rated speed, then I really cannot see any reason why a smaller card should be faster than a larger one.

Unless... the cards have not been formatted before each shoot. If you do not format the card before use (you just erase the old files), it can become fragmented and a fragmented card *could* possibly be slower than an unfragmented one and a smaller card *could* be less fragmented than a larger one.

Or maybe, a smaller card (2GB or less) was formatted as FAT16, while larger cards (2GB Plus) would have to be FAT32. But if both cards were unfragmented, I am not sure there would be a noticable speed difference.

PS: The measurable transfer speed on my 4GB CF cards are the same as the measurable speed of my 8GB CF cards. But then, I format my cards before each and every use.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2008, 8:13 PM   #9
Administrator

That's my thought.

Any speed difference between cards of the same brand/model is going to be neglible for cards made at around the same time with the same types of components.

You see some differences within a card model (for example, a newer Sandisk Ultra II may be faster than an older Sandisk Ultra II, due to changes in components).

But, I just don't see where you'd encounter any significant difference due to card size.

If you look through some of Rob Galbraith's tests, you can't draw any conclusions based on card size.

For example, look at the D2x results from some of the cards. This is a relatively fast camera compared to most that Rob has tested.

Sometimes a larger card is faster, and sometimes a smaller card is faster, within the same brand/model. For example, in the Sandisk Extreme III series, the 8GB card was fastest, followed by a 2GB Card, followed by a 1GB card, followed by another 8GB card (different edge stamp). But, the difference in any of them was really neglible as far as real world performance (most of these were within a few percent of each other).

Fastest to slowest Extreme Series Sandisk cards in D2x:
2GB Extreme IV
4GB Extreme IV
8GB Extreme III
2GB Extreme III
1GB Extreme III
8GB Extreme III (different edge stamp, and was probably an older card).

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...?cid=6007-8479

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2008, 10:06 PM   #10

Jim,

Good information as usual, guess the best bet is to stay with the UltraIII cards. That will make the wife happy as she picked out the first UltraIII card for me. I'll just tell the family that on days I have to buy a new card they don't get any StarBucks. StarBucks is next to the Best Buy where we shop all too often.:G