Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jan 14, 2008, 4:56 PM   #1

My computer is not reading the photos from the memory card. I use the slot in the top of the computer (not USB) and the programme has been reading the photos great for over 2 years, lately it won't read them at all. The USB has been tested and the card doesn't get recognised by Windows.
Seems to me that I need to download another SD viewer, freebie, I've been to the Panasonic site and there is nothing to say there is an update for the programme, anyone have any suggestions as to what programme to download.?
Appreciate any help, thanks.
Fern2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 14, 2008, 7:54 PM   #2

Welcome to the forums!

If you're computer's card reader can't read the card, but the USB is ok, it sounds like the card reader has failed. Try a different card reader.

If you've got a USB cable for your camera, that will turn your camera into a card reader (as far as the computer is concerned.)

Or if you can't find the cable, card readers can be had for less than $20.

Have you tried a different card?

And, if Windows can't see the card, no image viewer/editor, free or not, is going to read it either.

There may be a problem with the format of the card that is causing Windows not to mount it, and there are other programs that might be able to take care of that. But I think you should check your hardware first.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2008, 2:45 AM   #3

Many thanks for your reply.I suspect that the card reader for some reason has failed. Obviously trying another one is the logical choice.
Fern2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2008, 4:12 AM   #4

You can also use the camera as a card reader. To the computer, that's all the camera is anyway. That's why I suggested using the camera's USB cable.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote