Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jan 18, 2008, 6:45 AM   #1

I use my SD cards in several items including my digital camera, Palm Tungsten E2, and a digital picture frame used for slideshows. When I copy files to the SD card, it will only take approximately 150 files, 300 meg in the root directory. Since the Palm and Frame will only feed the MP3's or JPG files from the root directory, it limits the usefulness in these items.

Does anyone know how to put 1 gig of files into the root directory? I have had no satisfactory answer from Microsoft, Sandisk, or Palm customer service.

dom836

dom836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 18, 2008, 6:52 AM   #2
Administrator

I've moved you thread to our Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Reader Forum

It's a file system limitation with FAT16. You can only have 512 entries in the root directory. But, if you are using long filenames, you may only get around 150. Try renaming your files to something like pict0001.jpg, pict0002.jpg, etc (8 character filename, 3 character extension) and see if that lets you get more files into the root.

If your devices support FAT32, you may be able to get around it by formatting the cards that way.

Are you sure the frame can't read from other folders (some frames will automatically alternate between folders on a card)?

See this thread about the same problem.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=52

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2008, 5:10 PM   #3

JimC,

Thanks for the tip. I renamed the files as you suggested to eight digits plus the extensionand was able to fit 286 mp3 files on one chip I use in my Palm. I was greatly disappointed that neither Palm nor Sandisk bothered to answer my inquery. I guess they must have very small customer service departments.

Dom836

dom836 is offline   Reply With Quote