Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jan 31, 2008, 11:08 AM   #1

Hey,

I'm travelling overseas right now, and so I've been taking a ton of pictures. Last night, I took about 10-15 pictures and a video or two, and then went to bed. In the morning, when I turned my camera on it said "XD Card Error". I took the card out, blew on it a little, etc. and then inserted it back in. This time, if I go to the Viewfinder setting, it shows that I have 720 pictures remaining (meaning I'd taken around 500 - my card has about 1200 picture capacity at the setting i have it on).

So, the card has data on it, but the pictures won't show up on my camera. About an hour later something strange happened - I tried it again, and this time the first 43 pictures (of the 500) appeared on the camera, but nothing else. I tried taking a picture of myself, and it saved fine.

I took the card to a photo shop, but in Indonesia they're not very knowledgable and didn't know how to recover the photos, but the drive definitely showed that there is around 750 MB of data on the card still. I could once again only view the first 43 photos.

Is there any way I will be able to recover these photos? Why would just the first 43 pictures appear on the card, but not the other 457? Also, what causes these "Card errors" so that I can avoid them in the future.

Thanks.
devinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 31, 2008, 11:16 AM   #2
Administrator

devinb wrote:
Quote:
I tried taking a picture of myself, and it saved fine.
Don't do that (take pictures).

If you write anything to the card, you're just going to corrupt more of it. Don't try to take pictures, delete images, etc.

Your File Allocation Table is probably corrupted and anytime you write to that card, you're probably going to start overwriting portions of recoverable images.

Try this free software to recover your images. Use a card reader if you have one:

http://www.pcinspector.de/Sites/smar...htm?language=1

Another choice is a free open source program called photorec. It's a command line utility (no graphical user interface). It works with over 80 different file types now (including most popular image formats). You'll see a download menu choice on the left side of the page.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec

After you recover all of your images (and check them to make sure), then format the card using the camera's menu choice for format before using it again.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2008, 11:55 AM   #3

Okay, thanks for that! I'll stop taking any pictures.

I don't have a card reader, just a usb cord. Is it more likely I'll lose the pictures if I use the USB cable?

Should I wait until I can get to an internet cafe with some card readers?

A similar thing happened to me a few months ago and the guy at the shop just played around with a ton of settings in windows (I thought he was just allowing windows to view hidden files) and after about an hour of tinkering he managed to get the pictures back. I watched him for most of the time and i don't believe he used any recovery program.
Old Jan 31, 2008, 12:08 PM   #4
Administrator

You can try the software to see if it works with a USB attached camera. If it doesn't, find a card reader and give it another go.

The software I mentioned will not try to write to the card (it recovers what it finds to the hard drive).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2008, 12:12 PM   #5

Alright, I'll give it a shot tomorrow. Thanks for your help.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 8:13 AM   #6

Hii devinb.

Did you got the solution??
I mean did your photos recovered??
Because, I too want the solution for same problem.

Last edited by david eric; Sep 29, 2011 at 8:16 AM.
david eric is offline   Reply With Quote