Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jul 25, 2002, 5:55 PM   #1

Default USB Speeds on various media types and digi-cam video

I\'m considering getting the Nikon Coolpix 2500. I was wondering how long it would take to download everything on the camera if i had the entire 256m cf card filled. How long would the equivalent microdrive take? Smart Media? I really don\'t know what media type I should aim for, if any. I do like the little bitty Minolta as well. I forget what memory type it uses.

Also, is the video on digi cams very good? Would you bother taking a small video? I was thinking it would be nice to get some video of a party/volleyball match/speed skating event (I speed skate) on top of pics.
wibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 25, 2002, 11:13 PM   #2

With the new USB 2.0 downlod time from any cardd will be so fast that the exact time will not matter. Computer and card reader or cam will all need to be USB 2.0. The 1.1 is quick, but nothing near 2.0. Do not know anything about the drives.
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2002, 12:33 PM   #3

Ah, I will have to make sure that whatever camera I get, uses USB 2.0 then. I don't recall any of them saying, so that will be an extra bit of research I do.
Old Jul 26, 2002, 1:24 PM   #4

Wibble,
Do not base yur digicam selection on USB 2.0, You can get a 2.0 card reader. Very lttle 2.0 out yet. Wth the card reader just pull card out of cam and put in reader. This also gets your camera off desk and in safe place, saw a 1 day old camera hit the floor. That ruined her day, Dec 23rd no less.
Good Luck,
Gary
Old Jul 26, 2002, 1:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally posted by Gary Senkus
Wibble,
Do not base yur digicam selection on USB 2.0, You can get a 2.0 card reader.
Thanks, that sounds like a better idea anyway.
Old Jul 26, 2002, 3:36 PM   #6

wibble,
guess about 10-15 seconds. Smart media only goes to 128 meg. Shooting the video clips I have only done once, was by mistake. The most important 2 features for me is optical zoom 6X min and picture quality.
Gary
Old Jul 26, 2002, 5:26 PM   #7

it will be a while before you'll see the camera itself being usb 2.0. card readers are just slowly starting to surface that are.

to me the camera being usb 2.0 is a non issue. i pull the card out and slip it into a reader anyway.

like the man said concentrate on the capabilities of the camera to take the picture and how you interface with it.

[Edited on 7-26-2002 by sjms]
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2002, 8:54 PM   #8

Default USB 2.0 CF Card Reader

Does anyone have any experience with the IO Gear 2.0 reader? Are there any others out there?

Ron
Ronbo is offline   Reply With Quote