Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Mar 18, 2008, 10:38 AM   #1

Hi:

About a month ago i went to the south of my country, is beautiful. Well the thing is that i shot about 900 photos, and when i was back home, i downloaded the pics to my PC, but i cut them, didn´t copy them to the HDD, when the process was done, i realized that i could see about 300 photos the other were black, the right weight, but black, the software(ACDsee) can open the files but tells me that the source data format is not recognized. Please help me.

Regards

Christian
[email protected]

The camera is a Lumix FZ18.

I think that if i upload a pic is not the same than have the original file so if you think that you can help me i can e-mail you a file.
BeeF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 18, 2008, 10:57 AM   #2
Administrator

Have you tried to open them with different software?

For example Google's free Picasa or the free Irfanview ?

What is the file type? Is it a jpeg image, or were you shooting in raw?

If you were shooting in raw, you'll need to use a raw converter that knows how to open the images from your FZ18 (raw files are proprietary to a camera manufacturer, and you'll need to use software to convert them to another format like jpeg so that others can see them and you can process them with most image editors.

There are a couple of free converters you can try if you don't want to use the software that came with your camera.

Raw Therapee

UFRaw

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2008, 11:32 AM   #3

The pictures are in Jpeg format. I have tried with CS3 y says that an unknown or invalid jpeg marker type is found. I haven´t tried with picasa, but i will
Old Mar 18, 2008, 11:43 AM   #4
Administrator

Then they're corrupted.

Have you got a card reader?

If so, use it with the memory card you were using when you took the photos, even if you've deleted them or formatted the card. If you don't have a card reader, use the camera as a reader and see if it's recognized. If not, get a card reader (they're cheap).

Download and install this software for the operating system you're using (Windows, Mac, Linux). It's free. You'll see a download menu choice on the left side of the main page.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec

Select your memory card from the list of media it finds (hard drives, etc.), and give it a place to save the photos to on your hard disk. Leave everything else at defaults and it will try to recover any images that haven't been overwritten yet.

It doesn't care about the file system at all, so any FAT (File Allocation Table) problems won't matter if you got any contiguous images saved before your FAT was corrupted (the most likely isssue). It's also very good about working around any hard errors that many other recovery programs would have issues with, if it's not just a file system issue like FAT corruption.

After recovering your images, make sure to format the card again using your camera's menu choice for format. I do that every time I reuse a memory card.

Old Mar 18, 2008, 12:17 PM   #5
Administrator

Here's a page showing you how to use it:

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec_Step_By_Step

If you have any questions or issues, let me know. Make sure you can see your photos OK (not just the thumbnails) after recovering them.

Have you had any other images (or files of any type) corrupted lately (in case it's not a camera or memory card issue, and something like bad RAM is corrupting them as they're being copied)?

Old Mar 18, 2008, 12:33 PM   #6

How do i give it a place to save the photos? where?
Old Mar 18, 2008, 12:34 PM   #7

and what kind of partition do i have to select for the memory card, Intel?
Old Mar 18, 2008, 12:36 PM   #8
Administrator

You'll see a "Select where recovered files should be written" choice in the table of contents on the page I just posted a link to. Here's a direct link to that section

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/Photo...uld_be_written

Everything should be left at defaults except for the source (your memory card) and the destination (your hard drive).

Yes, Intel is what you want to select. As mentioned on that same page, "Select the partition table type, usually the default value is the correct one as PhotoRec auto-detects the partition table type."

Use the defaults. ;-)

With some operating systems, it will save them in a folder within the directory it was started from (recup1, recup2, etc.) .

Old Mar 18, 2008, 12:41 PM   #9

It´s working!! but right now is recovering the existing pictures in the memory
Old Mar 18, 2008, 7:11 PM   #10

Man, I Love you!!
I recovered most of the pictures. Thank you very much.

Thanks again!!!!!!!

Christian