Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Sep 19, 2003, 12:26 PM   #1

Default Memory Card Life

One of the engineers here at work, mentioned that the CF cards have a finite life -- that repeated usage will eventually cause the card to fail. He said the recording system is suffiently smart, that the image files are saved to random areas of the card, to "spread the wear evenly".

Has anyone seen any articles or data regarding the potential life span of these cards?
steveinvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 19, 2003, 5:14 PM   #2

yes in all practical reality the cells do have a finite lifespan. but as you can see there are manufacturers like Lexar and Delkin that will back their product with a lifetime Warranty on most of their cards. this is due to 1- the memory quality of manufacture is higher today vs 5 yrs ago 2- the odds of you reaching that number as an average photographer is fairly low. the writes and wipes are up over 100000 times. a pro might reach that in about 3-5 yrs and thats a fairly prolific pro too. that is why i buy these brands. its a sense of reliability.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2003, 4:40 AM   #3

I'd expect the card to start producing bad block errors. If it's CF then it's possible the internal processor checks and manages this. Although when a low level format is done (not the camera format), the bad block table is usually checked and updated (re-calibrated).

With the right sort of card diagnostic hardware and software it should be possible to check the bad block count at new (that would be interesting!) and then over time. VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2003, 7:36 AM   #4

I bought a 1GB CF in the begining of the year, when I reach 1 million weddings I'll let you know how the CF is doing
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2003, 7:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by marokero
I bought a 1GB CF in the begining of the year, when I reach 1 million weddings I'll let you know how the CF is doing
It won't take 1 million weddings to fill and wipe the card 1 million times. By the time you get anywhere near that number you'll be getting one photo on a card that size with your 500 Gigapixel camera (Unless you're an especially prolific wedding photographer, in which case I apologuise ).
MrPogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2003, 11:28 PM   #6

Shouldn't it be possible to format the card with one of the newer format programs, that would "flag" the bad blocks? If a card starts to go bad, just as a hard disk might, the software should identify those areas that aren't useable, and work around them.

Yes?
mikemyers is offline   Reply With Quote