Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Mar 22, 2008, 1:02 PM   #1

I just placed an oder for a Panasonic Lumix DM-FZ50 but have not ordered a CompactFlash card and need a recommendation. I have heard that there are some incompatibilities with 4GB cards... Also I have read that taking photos in RAW format can be slow. What fast cards would owners of the FZ50 here would recommend?
ecelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 22, 2008, 2:09 PM   #2
Administrator

The Panasonic DMC-FZ50 doesn't use CompactFlash.

It uses either SD (Secure Digital) or SDHC (Secure Digital High Capacity) media.

I'd probably get this Class 6 Transcend 4GB SDHC card from newegg.com. I saw one FZ50 user reporting that a Class 6 Transcend 4GB SDHC card was twice as fast as a 2GB card he was using when shooting raw. It comes with a lifetime warranty and an SDHC compatible USB 2.0 card reader.

Transcend 4GB Class 6 SDHC card with USB 2.0 SDHC/SD card reader for $19.99 at newegg.com

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2008, 2:52 PM   #3

Jim, Thanks for the clarification and suggestion!! SDHC are certainly much cheaper than CompactFlash cards.. But I am interested in high speed and capacity in order to take RAW picts. Is class ^ same speed as 133X?
ecelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2008, 3:20 PM   #4
Administrator

It appears to be a very fast card. See the first screen capture of it in this review, where they got around 14MB/Second write times and 19MB/Second read times with a Transcend 8GB Class 6 SDHC card via a reader with the block sizes you're likely to see with a typical camera.

http://www.tabletpcreview.com/default.asp?newsID=1096

newegg.com has a good deal on their larger cards too. Stick to the newer Class 6 cards in their SDHC line.

Transcend 8GB Class 6 SDHC Card with reader at newegg.com for $70.99 Click on the product images in their listing to see the Lifetime Warranty on the packaging.

I've been using a Transcend 133x 16GB CompactFlash card in a Sony DSLR-A700 with no problems since October (and it clocks at about the same speed as a Sandisk Extreme III in this camera). From benchmarks I've seen of their newer Class 6 SDHC cards, they're fast, too.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2008, 10:08 PM   #5

Class 6 doesn't say much. Even cards with MLC memory do fulfill the class 6 specification, though only barely. Cards with SLC chips like the Sandisk Extreme III or the Transcend 150x are the best.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote