Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Apr 4, 2008, 10:44 AM   #1

Has any D300 owners used the Sandisk 16GB card? Just ordered the card. Doubt there would be any issues. Just curious.
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 4, 2008, 10:48 AM   #2
Administrator

I doubt you'll have any issues. I saw some posts from a D3 owner recently using a 32GB Transcend card. So, the D300 shouldn't have any issues using larger cards, as both of these newer Nikon DSLR models support UDMA and probably have a similar interface to media.

It's not going to be as fast as the newer UDMA cards in a D300 (you should be able to write to the newest Extreme IV, or Lexar 300x UDMA cards at more than twice as fast you'll get with the Extreme III). But, as long as you don't fill up the buffer, you may find the performance to be fine.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2008, 10:52 AM   #3
Administrator

I just noticed that dpreview.com tested the D300 with a 16GB Extreme III (look at the timing and file sizes section of the review). So, it's compatible (it's just not as fast as newer UDMA compliant cards). For example, shooting 12 bit .nef files, Phil got around 1 second per shot cycle times after the buffer was full using a 16GB Extreme III. Depending on the continuous mode used, he got from 2.5 to 3.5 frames per second shooting 12 bit .nef files with a full buffer using an Extreme IV ( up to 3.5 times as fast as the average cycle times with an Extreme III).

Old Apr 4, 2008, 10:55 AM   #4

JimC wrote:
Quote:
I doubt you'll have any issues. I saw some posts from a D3 owner recently using a 32GB Transcend card. So, the D300 shouldn't have any issues using larger cards, as both of these newer Nikon DSLR models support UDMA and probably have a similar interface to media.

It's not going to be as fast as the newer UDMA cards in a D300 (you should be able to write to the newest Extreme IV, or Lexar 300x UDMA cards at more than twice as fast you'll get with the Extreme III). But, as long as you don't fill up the buffer, you may find the performance to be fine.
I ordered the 16GB Extreme III for the space more than the write speed. And being that I don't have to make a living with my gear I doubt the write speeds will make that much of a difference in my useage.

32GB?? Hmmmm...As you said if it works on a D3...should work in my D300...Will look into the 32GB Transcend.

Later Jim.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 10:57 AM   #5
Administrator

I've been using a 16GB 133x Transcend since October my Sony A700 with no issues. It tests at about the same speed as an Extreme III, at a much lower price point. http://www.newegg.com has great prices on them (and they stock the 16GB and 32GB cards like this). These Transcends also have a lifetime warranty.

It's not as fast as the latest UDMA type cards in my Sony either. But, it's fine for what I'd shoot (and Transcend doesn't offer their 266x cards in 16GB or larger sizes yet).

Old Apr 4, 2008, 11:14 AM   #6

JimC wrote:
Quote:
I've been using a 16GB 133x Transcend since October my Sony A700 with no issues. It tests at about the same speed as an Extreme III, at a much lower price point. http://www.newegg.com has great prices on them (and they stock the 16GB and 32GB cards like this). These Transcends also have a lifetime warranty.

It's not as fast as the latest UDMA type cards in my Sony either. But, it's fine for what I'd shoot (and Transcend doesn't offer their 266x cards in 16GB or larger sizes yet).

Thanks Jim. Will consider a Transcend 32 or 16fGB. I know the Sandisk Extreme IV are better. As evidenced in that Aussie magazine memory card shootout article I posted a while back. Just haven't spotted any good deals on the 8GB version yet. When i do I'll snap up a few.

The Transcends are cheap (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...tion=Transcend). 8GB for under $40.00 and the 32GB for $150.00 USD. I paid $199.99 CAD for my 16GB Sandisk Extreme III. Though, I'm sure I'm paying partly for the Sandisk name.

Right now the best deals in Toronto are on the Lexar UDMA 4 and 8GB cards. I have the 4GB in my D300 right now. Will probably pickup an 8GB one of these days. Probably in a few months before I head to LA. Though with 1 4GB and 1 16GB I should be okay.

Will need to buy a CF card hardshell wallet soon.

Old Apr 5, 2008, 2:30 PM   #7
Administrator

Sandisk and Transcend don't offer their fastest cards in 16GB or larger sizes yet.

If you want faster, stick to the 8GB cards for now. You may want to check out Transcend's 266x cards (available in sizes through 8GB now):

Transcend 266x 8GB CompactFlash card for $87.99 at newegg.com

Old Apr 5, 2008, 2:42 PM   #8

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Sandisk and Transcend don't offer their fastest cards in 16GB or larger sizes yet.

If you want faster, stick to the 8GB cards for now. You may want to check out Transcend's 266x cards (available in sizes through 8GB now):

Transcend 266x 8GB CompactFlash card for $87.99 at newegg.com
I'll keep that card in mind. Good pricing. Assuming they are reliable cards.

Can you really see any difference in IQ between brands of cards? Or are they all pretty much the same in this way? Differing only in write speeds.
Old Apr 5, 2008, 2:47 PM   #9
Administrator

You will not see any difference in image quality between memory cards (as long as you don't have a corruption problem), just like you wouldn't see any difference in image quality using a different hard disk drive.

Old Apr 5, 2008, 2:54 PM   #10

JimC wrote:
Quote:
You will not see any difference in image quality between memory cards (as long as you don't have a corruption problem), just like you wouldn't see any difference in image quality using a different hard disk drive.
Ok that's good to know. I asked because there is a difference in IQ when you're talking about 35mm film. I wondered if that might be true wtih memory cards as well. Guess not.