Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Sep 22, 2003, 8:36 AM   #1

Default Lexar vs. Viking

I have a Canon A-70 with one 128meg Lexar compact flash. It has worked great and now I've decided to get another card. My choices are a Lexar 12x 256meg for $50 after rebate or a Viking 8x 256meg for $30 after rebate. My local office store is offering the Lexar, while Amazon has the Viking.

I've been happy with my present Lexar, but the $20 difference has me considering the Viking. Any pros or cons about the Viking?

Thanks,
Elizabeth
Elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 22, 2003, 10:34 AM   #2

I say any anything from experience, but I read other forums as well as this one and I see the Viking name come up regularly. Can't say more than that.

I can say that Lexar has very good customer service, from posts here (luckly enough not to have needed it yet.) They seem to repsond quickly and correctly (i.e. treat the customer right.)

The lexar at 12x might be lightly faster than the 8x. It won't be much, but it is worth mentioning. It's in the 8-12x range tha tmost consumer grade cameras max out. They just don't write faster, so a faster card is a waste.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2003, 12:52 PM   #3

Thanks Eric for the reply.

I've spent some time reading over the reviews at Amazon. Seems like quite a few people have had a difficult time getting their Viking rebate. Then there are folks who have had the card fail on them.

Money is tight for me right now, but not having a hassle also is a benefit. Now I'm leaning towards the extra $20 for Lexar unless I hear more viewpoints to sway my decision.

Elizabeth
Elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2003, 7:05 PM   #4

Something for the curious, I peeked into the 'inner sanctum' of a Viking 64Mb CF card and it's actually Toshiba! So the real question is 'are Toshiba CF cards any good?' sorry I can't help on that one - VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote