Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Apr 12, 2008, 4:20 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4
Default

Hey guys,

I am curious whether there is a difference in power requirements between different types of SDHC cards. A while ago I read that this could indeed have impact on battery life of a digicam.

I am about to buy a Canon Powershot SD770 IS. Since it is an ultracompact model it has a smaller battery than a "big" EOS for example.

Unfortunately I cannot find any information on the power requirements in SDHC-cards product specifications so is my concern unreasonable ?



I had a look at the Memory card information page of this website but there are just format specifications listed so what do I have to look out for when buying a Memory-card ?
I have had a look at the Sandisk Ultra II and Extreme III products but don't know whether there are "better" ones out there.
What card would you recommend if I am interested in the performance of the product rather than the price ?


-level20peon
level20peon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 12, 2008, 8:06 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
TCav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Washington, DC, Metro Area, Maryland
Posts: 13,572
Default

level20peon wrote:
Quote:
I am curious whether there is a difference in power requirements between different types of SDHC cards.
There is, but it is very slight. The data is available, but you definately have to drill down to get it.

level20peon wrote:
Quote:
A while ago I read that this could indeed have impact on battery life of a digicam.
Absolutely not true. The LCD display uses more electricity than the flash memory card, plus it gets used more often and for longer periods. If you're worried about preserving battery life, get a camera with a smaller LCD display, turn down the brightness, and set the sleep timer for a shorter period. Any of those options will increase your battery life much more than selecting an SDHC card thatdrawsslightly less current than any of it's competitors.

I would be most pleased if you could tell me where you read that. Yours is not the first topic in these forums that referred to that particular piece of nonsense, and I'd like to have the opportunity to confront the originator.

TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2008, 6:47 AM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4
Default

Thanks for your reply.


TCav wrote:
Quote:
level20peon wrote:
Quote:
I am curious whether there is a difference in power requirements between different types of SDHC cards.
There is, but it is very slight. The data is available, but you definately have to drill down to get it.
Right, I didn't find it, so I asked. Do you know a resource where I can geht this information (just out of curiousity, I know now that it doesn't have a big impact on battery life) ?



TCav wrote:
Quote:
level20peon wrote:
Quote:
A while ago I read that this could indeed have impact on battery life of a digicam.
[...] I would be most pleased if you could tell me where you read that. Yours is not the first topic in these forums that referred to that particular piece of nonsense, and I'd like to have the opportunity to confront the originator.
I am sorry but the last time I dealt with this matter was years ago... I was unable to re-find my source.


Anyway: What card would you recommend if I am interested in the performance of the product rather than the price ? Is the Extreme III a good pick ?


-level20peon
level20peon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2008, 3:00 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
TCav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Washington, DC, Metro Area, Maryland
Posts: 13,572
Default

level20peon wrote:
Quote:
Right, I didn't find it, so I asked. Do you know a resource where I can geht this information (just out of curiousity, I know now that it doesn't have a big impact on battery life) ?
Someone once asked the same question, and I found somebody's website that quoted (I think)no more than 5 µa (that's microamps, or 1 millionth of an amp) per write and no more that 2 µa per read.

level20peon wrote:
Quote:
Anyway: What card would you recommend if I am interested in the performance of the product rather than the price ? Is the Extreme III a good pick ?
The SanDisk Extreme III (or better) and the Lexar Platinum II (or better) would be good choices, as would others. And the current prices are reasonable, and anything better would probably be overkill. That is not to say that something better wouldn't be a good idea if you get a good price. It may be faster than your current camera (which isn't a bad thing), but it might be just fast enough for your next camera.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2008, 3:03 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4
Default

TAL :-)
level20peon is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 7:23 AM.