Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Sep 23, 2003, 6:05 AM   #1

Default CF or Smartmedia

I know this subject has probably been visited several times previously. But I am new to Digital photography and I'm in the process of purchasing a Fuji S602. This comes with a 16mb sm card but I intend to purchase a 128mb card, of which variety I know not.

Helpppppppppppppp
bigal 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 23, 2003, 8:26 AM   #2

Smartmedia is a limited lifespan product as of last year with the introduction of xD. xD was joint developed by Olympus/Fuji to replace SM. SM had some real design limitations in capacity and fragility. you should be able to use xD in your 602 with an adapter from fuji/olympus(Olympus P/N MACF-10) which fits in of all things the CF slot.
CF on the other hand is still the defacto standard of the industry. especially on high end cameras. it is faster in most cases, more robust, and has gone well beyond the capacities of other form factors as of today. it also seems to have reasonable room to grow in its design. CF cards currently top out at a commercial available size of 4GB(type 2 form factor) with 6+GB in engineering packaging(not commercially available). your camera will take CF type 1 and 2. the difference between the two is the thickness. type 2 being a little thicker. CF offers the highest versatility of all the form factors availability today.
here is an excellent reference on design and manufacturers:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...e.asp?cid=6007
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2003, 5:57 AM   #3

Hi, I keep 128 SM installed permanently in my 602 and a 1Gb Microdrive in the CF slot. I have no movie or speed compatibility problems with either. For short shoots I select the SM slot, when full or for holidays etc I select the CF slot. Personally, I disagree with reported fragility of SM. It has 9 surface wiping contacts whereas the expensive MD has 50 fragile pins which can be bent or broken pushing into readers.

128SM is very cheap and fully compatible so I like it. The choice of Big CF or MD is difficult, but you'd be looking at 32X plus speed for CF to get close to SM. on speed and compatibility. Forget the 16Mb SM that came with the camera. You will probably be shooting 6Mpix Fine. All SM brands are equally fast and work the same - buy the cheapest.

A de-facto standard is only a standard until the next memory format comes out and is widely adopted. Buy sufficient for your expected camera life as prices fall and new formats are launched. VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2003, 7:30 AM   #4

the defacto standard such as CF has outlasted the others due to its versatility. so far as you can see SM is down and out. even sony has admitted with the 828 that the memorystick camnnot be rammed down peoples throats no matter where they put their slots.

there is no longer any develpoement in SM. xD is their next big thing and it doesn't fit in a unmodified SM slot. at least with xD the managed to go beyond 128MB less then a year after bringng them out.

CF is the original Form Factor allowing for other devices to be developed and packaged in it. that in itself garrentied longevity. even SD is has a jump on the rest due to this same concept. it an open standard. they have WiFi SD cards out now so it too will out last any propriatary interlopers.

you can't sell i propriatary form factor that doesn't allow for true growth and longevity. that is why CF and now SD will outlast.

as i said befor you can put a xD, SM, SD and MS into a CF slot via adapters but you cannot do the opposite. so there is no true interoperability there. that can be problematic can't it. so in order to have your choice of cards in any device you either have multi slots or one CF slot with adapters. on some devices that is a problem. Palm and PPC carry either SD, CF or both except sony which won't give up their product. so again the standards show up again.
Old Sep 25, 2003, 1:11 PM   #5

Yes, SM is on its way out...but....

Check Ebay.

From time to time, you can pick it up at a great price.

I have picked some up for $25 inc shipping.
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2003, 1:36 PM   #6

Smart media is still available at many locations. newegg.com has 128mb card for $36. I would choose CF ov SM because it is more available.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2003, 1:54 PM   #7

well then as you can see any investment in SM at this time would be sort of like throwing money away. at least with CF it can carry over to another compatible camera or sold much easier. my 5050z has a SM slot too and will never be used along with a xD one. i have the supplied xD card installed as a BU (tiny capacity as it is) and a 640MB for shooting RAW.
look foward.