Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jun 8, 2008, 2:47 PM   #11

TCav wrote:
Quote:
Flying Fossil wrote:
I did the format on the PC, the card appeared to be empty when I looked at properties, I then formated in the camera (Sony A-700) and found that the pictures were still there. ?????
Quote:
Well, I found my answer. I started the recovery program again, and the pictures are indeed still on the card.

Once recovered, is there a program to remove any pictures and start fresh?
It is my understanding that some Canon cameras have a 'Low Level Format' command. That would do it.

If yours doesn't have it, you could format it in a PC (don't use the 'Quick Format' option) and that would do it. You should re-format the card once you've put it back into the camera, however. The format command in the camera also lays out the folder structure the camera expects to see, whereas the PC's format command does not.
Flying Fossil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2008, 3:19 PM   #12

Well then, right click on 'My Computer' and select 'Manage', and under 'Storage' click on 'Disk Mangement'. Right click on the flash card, and select 'Format'. That should do it. Format it again in your camera to make sure that it can use it when the time comes.

There are also utilities for doing what you want. One is called 'Wipe Info' and is part of Symantec's Norton System Works.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2008, 6:20 PM   #13

Hmmmm guess I'll have to try that Norton (Hate Norton) stuff as none of this is working.

Flying Fossil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2008, 6:57 PM   #14

Flying Fossil wrote:
Quote:
Once recovered, is there a program to remove any pictures and start fresh?
Despite what you may have heard, a Windows PC format (full or quick) does not erase the data portion of the card - that is the reason why you are still able to recover photos after doing that (with varying degrees of success due to the loss of the FAT chain information).

If you really want to irrevocably erase the contents of a card, then there are several ways of doing this. It's very easy under Unix or Linux; some recovery software also has this ability; or you can use a Windows utility like this freeware one called Card Wiper (from the makers of the PhotoRescue recovery software):

http://www.photorescue.net/downloadcardwiper.htm

Please read and heed all the warnings :-) Hope this helps...

--
Sam
Expert Photo Recovery is offline   Reply With Quote