Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Apr 20, 2008, 8:14 AM   #1

Recently took around 50 pics of my dad's funeral. When I tried viewing the pics from my Canon camera, all the pics were gone. I remember I deleted 1 pic which said corrupted data. Anyway, hooked up the Sandisk compact flash to the pc using a card reader. There were several folders but none contained any data at all. However, when I checked the properties of the CF, it was half full.

Is there a way / program to recover those priceless pics? I appreciate your help.
conrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 20, 2008, 8:23 AM   #2
Administrator

Download and install this software for the operating system you're using (Windows, Mac, Linux). It's free. You'll see a download menu choice on the left side of the main page.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec

Use your card reader, and select your memory card from the list of media it finds (hard drives, etc.), and give it a place to save the photos to on your hard disk when you are asked Where to Save Recovered Files (it defaults to saving recovered files in subfolders under Photorec, where the software is installed on your hard drive, but you can change it to something else if desired).

Don't worry about changing any of the other options. Just leave everything else at defaults (Partition type of Intel, file types to recover, etc.) and it will try to recover any images that haven't been overwritten yet (and don't try to do anything like take more photos or you may overwrite some of them).

It doesn't care about the file system at all, so any FAT (File Allocation Table) problems won't matter if you got any contiguous images saved before your FAT was corrupted (the most likely isssue). It's also very good about working around any hard errors that many other recovery programs would have issues with, if it's not just a file system issue like FAT corruption.

After recovering your images, make sure to format the card again using your camera's menu choice for format. I do that every time I reuse a memory card.

Here's a page showing you how to use it:

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec_Step_By_Step

If you have any questions or issues, let me know. Make sure you can see your photos OK (not just the thumbnails) after recovering them.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2008, 9:00 AM   #3
Administrator

Here's another free product you can use:

http://www.pcinspector.de/Sites/smar...htm?language=1

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2008, 4:05 AM   #4

Was told by a DSLR user that deleting photos on a CF card in the camera (in particular, the Canon 400D) can cause corruption of the rest of the pictures in the CF card.

He told me it is best to delete any photos you don't want on the PC.

Is there some truth to this claim?

Just got a Canon 400D/Rebel XTi and want to make sure I know what I'[m doing.
a-beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2008, 7:13 AM   #5

a-beginner wrote:
Quote:
Was told by a DSLR user that deleting photos on a CF card in the camera (in particular, the Canon 400D) can cause corruption of the rest of the pictures in the CF card.

He told me it is best to delete any photos you don't want on the PC.

Is there some truth to this claim?

Just got a Canon 400D/Rebel XTi and want to make sure I know what I'[m doing.
Not likely.

It is best to format your card(s) occasionally just to lay down a fresh copy of the File Allocation Tables, which will lessen the chances of a corrupt card. But there is no reason to expect that deleting individual photos from a recently formatted card would result in any problems.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2008, 1:36 AM   #6

Thanks a lot for the information. Makes me feel better.

Made the recent jump from my ultrazoom Canon S5IS using SD cards to the Canon 400D DSLR that uses CF. I had no problems at all with the SD/SDHCs used in the S5.

a-beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2008, 8:51 PM   #7

JimC wrote:

Interesting little program. I have not had a problem with lost photo's (yet) but decided to download the program and see what I could find on my San Disk Ultra II 2gb Compact Flash card.
I did a in camera format and per camera, there were no images.

I ran the recovery program and found 139 pictures.

If I run the program again, will I find the same 139 pictures or are they now gone.

I could run the program again I suppose and find out, but it takes a while to run.

Thanks

Quote:
Here's another free product you can use:

http://www.pcinspector.de/Sites/smar...htm?language=1
Flying Fossil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2008, 11:08 AM   #8

Well, I found my answer. I started the recovery program again, and the pictures are indeed still on the card.

Once recovered, is there a program to remove any pictures and start fresh?

Thanks
Flying Fossil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2008, 1:32 PM   #9

Flying Fossil wrote:
Quote:
Well, I found my answer. I started the recovery program again, and the pictures are indeed still on the card.

Once recovered, is there a program to remove any pictures and start fresh?
It is my understanding that some Canon cameras have a 'Low Level Format' command. That would do it.

If yours doesn't have it, you could format it in a PC (don't use the 'Quick Format' option) and that would do it. You should re-format the card once you've put it back into the camera, however. The format command in the camera also lays out the folder structure the camera expects to see, whereas the PC's format command does not.
Old Jun 8, 2008, 1:36 PM   #10

As an aside, on the few ocassions when I ran both PhotoRec and PC Inspector, I always got more photos back with PhotoRec, though some of them were only fragments and soweren't worth it.