Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Apr 27, 2008, 3:09 PM   #1

Hi:

By a mistake I format my XD picture card, whit the Olympus cz770 format function.

I did not take new fotos or write to the card.

I tried pc inspector and a lot of programas, but all programs result in 0 find pictures.

Somebodu knows any method to un-format ? (newly, is not PC format, is camera format)

Thanks in advance

Ernesto - Ashdod - Israel

eaides is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 27, 2008, 4:00 PM   #2

eaides wrote:
Quote:
By a mistake I format my XD picture card, whit the Olympus cz770 format function.
I'm sorry to say that an xD (or SmartMedia) in-camera format is usually destructive, and the photos are very likely to be unrecoverable :sad:

A quick check with a hex editor (in read-only mode) on the card, would allow you to confirm that...

Another way to get a good idea if the card is now blank, is to try to Zip or Rar the card's contents to a file on your hard disk drive, when that card is accessible as a drive letter to the PC (e.g. with the card in a card reader). If the card's contents compress to a file of just a few kB, then the card is blank and has been erased. That technique is a bit more complex than just using a hex editor, but some people prefer it.

Good luck, but I'm sorry to say that I'm not hopeful for you to get those images back.

Regards,

Sam

Expert Photo Recovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2008, 9:34 PM   #3

xD cards, like most other flash memory cards, use the FAT file system, with higher capacity devices using FAT32.

In the FAT File System, when you delete a file or format a volume, the file system doesn't actually delete the file or erase the volume; it just forgets about the stuff that's already there, and marks the space they used as empty.

Programs with some understanding of this can scan the volume looking for traces of the files that were once there, and can often recover them.

Try PhotoRec. It's part of a bundle of useful programs available for download at http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Download
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2008, 10:00 AM   #4

TCav wrote:
Quote:
In the FAT File System, when you delete a file or format a volume, the file system doesn't actually delete the file or erase the volume; it just forgets about the stuff that's already there, and marks the space they used as empty.
While that is normally true, that is typically not correct for in-camera formats done by SmartMedia & xD cameras, nor for the in-camera "low-level format" available in some dSLRs.

Have a look with a hex editor at an xD card, after an in-camera format. You'll typically see that the card is completely erased (i.e. each byte set to 0xFF), apart from the FAT (which has been replaced with an empty FAT) and boot sector.

Although it shouldn't be used for this purpose, a PC format would not have been destructive, as you say.

The OP can check to see whether the card is fully erased or not, using the methods I described.

Regards,

Sam

Expert Photo Recovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2008, 8:44 AM   #5

Hi:

I am very pained... What Sam said is really true.

Thanks for your clarify.

Nothing to do, just remember for he next time.

Just to add, that in this case, the software camera is really bad... it is destructive, it may be ask yes or no... and in case of yes it mast be advice and re-confirm for a last time...

Regretfully it is a big bug.

Thanks

Ernesto Aides

Ahsdod - Israel

eaides is offline   Reply With Quote