Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

View Poll Results: Whicj card format do you perfer?
CF 6 40.00%
SD 7 46.67%
XD 2 13.33%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 29, 2008, 10:24 AM   #11

tjsnaps rote:
Quote:
Something not meantioned yet. Look at how many other deviced use SD cards. sound recorders, Cell phones, PDA's etc. It could be important to have a camera that uses the same memery type. Imagine sending a client a sample photo over the phone for aproval.
videobruce wrote:
Quote:
tjsnaps; You have a point here. Didn't think about other devices. BUT, I would like to think DSLR cameras are not in the same category as these other 'dime a dozen' consumer toys. :roll:
Actually, more devices use CF Cards than SD cards. All Cisco's routers boot from CF Cards. They are reliable, durable, and all the hardware takes up a lot less space in the case than a hard disk drive. And Cisco isn't the only one that sees it that way.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2008, 10:30 AM   #12

Two points;
Cisco isn't consumer equipment,
Size doesn't matter.
videobruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2008, 5:57 PM   #13

videobruce wrote:
Quote:
tjsnaps; You have a point here. Didn't think about other devices. BUT, I would like to think DSLR cameras are not in the same category as these other 'dime a dozen' consumer toys. :roll:
I've noted this before about Nikon but I'm sure its true with other brands as well.
The consumer cameras have always been the testing ground for new technology if something makes it into the more advanced cameras its because its proved itself worthy. The camera makers must feel the SD cards a capable of good performance and their is some advantage to using them.

I can remember when autofucus was a toy, zoom lenses were toys etc. I have a book right here that states "Some caustic die-hards insist that the miniature (35mm) isn't a camera, it is, they say, a cult" 35mm film was considered too small to produce good photographs. And of coarse digital cameras them selves were once considered nothing but a toys.

Having said all that I too would rather have CF cards but that because I seem to drop my SD cards every time I take one out of the camera

tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2008, 9:36 PM   #14

I can't say that I prefer one over the other. I wish Nikon had some consistency...I own the D80 and D300 and they both use different cards, which doubles the number of cards I have to carry on a shoot where I need both cameras. In terms of durability, ease of use, I see no real difference between SD and CF. I don't even care so much about being able to use my cards in other devices besides my cameras..I normally just buy cards for whatever device I need them for.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2008, 9:13 AM   #15

Let the consumer cameras have their micro SD cards, keep the professional CF cards where they should be. Forget the marketing crap. One goes out and spends a grand plus on a DSLR (with lens etc.), they aren't (or shouldn't) going to quibble over getting another card or two.

Over 330 views and only 7 votes?? :sad:
Old Apr 30, 2008, 9:59 PM   #16

I've heard that compact flash are better for taking raw shots, as they tend to record the image in a more stable manner (somehow). I've had people complain that raw to SD leads to more corrupt images, but I personally think it's because they haven't been formatting the card after each dump.

I have no problem with CF in my slr, and there used to be a benefit as CF could hold more than SD, and was faster. Not so much today though. 16 GB SD cards are readily available, are about the same price as a CF (where I am anyway) , and are just as fast.

I like the SD as it can fit into more of my components: Sub-Laptop, Palmpilot, old point and shoot camera, my laptop's built in card reader, digital camcorder. Likewise for my girlfriends components. I can put my micro SD into it's complemenary adapter and use it in any of these as well. Only my SLR uses CF. Even when something like the Dell Axim took CF Cards, they had an SD card slot as well.

It's the near universality (except for the Sony and Olympus ridiculousness) that makes it easy for me to give my vote to the SD card over the others formats.
I still use the first SD card that I ever bought, a 512mb from about 3 or four years ago. It`s been in constant service for all this time and will be for the forseeable future.

I'm not sure why the original poster thinks that SD cards are fragile. Has he or she ever owned one. Like a previous poster, I have put mine through the laundry etc and never had a problem.
Pickwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2008, 10:16 PM   #17

Trying to put them in a card reader is always a chalenge. I always worry about snapping them in half.
This is with two different readers.
Old May 4, 2008, 10:47 PM   #18

videobruce wrote:
Quote:
Trying to put them in a card reader is always a chalenge. I always worry about snapping them in half.
This is with two different readers.
Yeah I can see if you're really big they could be a problem.
Pickwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2008, 9:01 AM   #19

videobruce wrote:
Quote:
Let the consumer cameras have their micro SD cards, keep the professional CF cards where they should be. Forget the marketing crap. One goes out and spends a grand plus on a DSLR (with lens etc.), they aren't (or shouldn't) going to quibble over getting another card or two.

Over 330 views and only 7 votes?? :sad:
I haven't voted because it really doesn't matter to me.I use both SD and Cf cards and have found no appreciable difference in handling, capacity, durability or cost. Either way in 5 years, what I have right now will either be too small or too slow, or obsolete. My camera (and other electronic device) purchase decisions aren't based on memory. If one offered measurably better performance or handling, maybe it would matter. As you said above...you're spending a grand on a camera, don't quibble over getting another card or two...this argument works for either CF or SD (or any other format) cards. I'm not sure I understand your stance that somehow CF cards are "more professional" than SD cards, unless it's just a "my card is bigger than your card" thing.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2008, 1:27 PM   #20
Administrator

Personally, I don't care that much about the memory type used by a camera either. The camera's other characteristics (Autofocus speed and reliability, cycle times between photos, metering, noise levels, dynamic range, etc.) are far more important to me than what type of memory card I'm using.

Flash Memory cards have really come down a lot lately. You can buy a fast 16GB CompactFlash or SDHC card for under $100 now, and you can also find 32GB cards shipping for more. So, it's not like you're going to be swapping cards a lot anyway if you buy a large enough card.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote