Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

View Poll Results: Whicj card format do you perfer?
CF 6 40.00%
SD 7 46.67%
XD 2 13.33%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 28, 2008, 10:33 AM   #1

Maybe I should ask, where can a SD card fit where a CF can't? Or; how many SD cards do you want to store somewhere where CF cards won't fit?
AFAIC, a CF card is small enough. Why do you need something smaller? It not as they are the size of a VHS cassette and the SD card was the size of a 8mm cassette.

I do understand that most of the 'toy' cameras use SD cards and someone pointed out that the manufactures think this is a way of luring people into the DSLR market by using the same card format as their cheap sliver toy camera.

Frankly, spending another $50 or so couple of cards shouldn't be a big deal since you are spending 10 to 20x that on the camera and lens(s).

As fragile as these SD cards are, I'm surprised there aren't more problems with them snaping in half or getting zapped with those exposed contacts compaired to CF.

Your thoughts?
videobruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 28, 2008, 2:05 PM   #2

From the persective of the camera manufacturer, the size of the CF Card is inconsquential. What is important is the size of the carrier and support hardware, and can they stuff it into as small a camera body as possible, and still have room for everything else they want to put in.

Not only is the SD Card quite a bit shorter and narrower, it's also a lot thinner, so the mechanical parts to hold the card within the camera body take up a lot less volume.

I understand the attraction. I prefer CF Cards because they're easier to handle, and if you drop one, you can hear it hit the floor. But the heritage that placed CF Card slots in most dSLRs is the microdrive, and now that the microdrive is now only an interestingpart of history, the reason for camera manufacturers to continue supporting CF Cards is gone, except for all the people out there that have lots of CF Cards (like you and me.)

But I have no doubt that someday somebody will be able to do something with an SD Card that can't be done with a CF Card, and we won't care about our old CF Cards any more.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2008, 4:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Frankly, spending another $50 or so couple of cards shouldn't be a big deal since you are spending 10 to 20x that on the camera and lens(s)
The same argument works for SD cards. I wouldn't buy any camera based purely on memory.

Quote:
As fragile as these SD cards are, I'm surprised there aren't more problems with them snaping in half or getting zapped with those exposed contacts compaired to CF.
I don't know that SD cards are any more fragile in practical terms. I've washed them, stepped on them, and dropped them and they still have worked in the end. I've heard more issue with bent CF card pins that render the whole camera unusable, than SD failures.

Memory is pretty cheap these days, and regardless of what you (or I) prefer, whatever we are using today, will likely be obsolete in 5 years. It'll either be too small, or too slow, not enough, etc.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2008, 11:38 PM   #4

While this is not an SD card example its an xD card example. My new olympus stylus 820 camera is weatheroroof and the available space in the camera is too small to except a CF card so it uses xD cards. So their are times when the camera body is too small i.e not enough space after the LCD screen and controls to hold a CF card.

I perfer CF cards because they come in larger sizes and are faster (was able to get a 16GB well before SD card announced one was coming). The one reason that D-SLRs still support CF cards is that pros like to have the ability to use those larger size cards and have to carry less of themwhen they travel. Pro sports photographers and wedding photograophers can also put in a 16GB and shoot an event without running out of space (or at least get the first half recording and make a card change at halftime).

Also like you said who wqants to keep spending more and more money with each new camera they get to buy new memory cards.

dave

Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2008, 7:07 AM   #5

In my case, it's not a issue buying another card. The two CF cards I have now are small so I would buy something larger anyway.

I also understand with these 'toy' cameras, size makes a difference, but with a 'real' camera it shouldn't be a issue. Even with a 'bridge' camera.

The capibility of both formats isn't even close to being reached. Even at 137GB (I believe that is the limit of CF) they would have a long way to go to reach that number and at 2TB for a SD, I won't hold my breath.
Old Apr 29, 2008, 9:20 AM   #6
Administrator

videobruce wrote:
Quote:
The capibility of both formats isn't even close to being reached. Even at 137GB (I believe that is the limit of CF) they would have a long way to go to reach that number and at 2TB for a SD, I won't hold my breath.
I dunno about that.....

I'm looking at a 16MB CompactFlash Card and a 16GB CompactFlash card on my desk right now that were manufactured less than 10 years apart. Yet, the newer 16GB Card I bought about 6 months ago holds 1000 times as much information as the 16MB Card.

32GB CompactFlash and Secure Digital Cards are available now (with larger cards on the way). So, it won't take long to reach 137GB.

That's just an addressing limitation though. A newer ATA standard, ATA/ATAPI-6, resolved the 137 GB limit by increasing the maximum number of address bits from 28 to 48.bits, allowing sizes up to 2.2TB. So, Camera manufacturers and memory card manufacturers will probably adopt a newer addressing standard when needed sizes warrant it.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2008, 9:37 AM   #7

Quote:
the SD 2.0 standard in SDHC uses a different memory addressing method (sector addressing vs byte addressing), thus theoretically reaching a maximum capacity of up to 2048 GB.
Quote:
CF cards since the original Revision 1.0 have been able to support capacities up to 137 GB.
The above from Wikipedia.
Old Apr 29, 2008, 9:45 AM   #8
Administrator

I wasn't disagreeing with the current limits. I was just pointing out that the 137GB limit you're seeing with CompactFlash now is just an addressing limitation of the older standard. SD is already using a newer 48 bit addressing scheme. My point is that it won't take very long to reach the 137GB limit the way memory sizes have been increasing (since 32GB cards are already readily available at vendors like newegg.com). So, they'll probably just go with a newer addressing scheme with CF, too.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2008, 9:46 AM   #9

Something not meantioned yet. Look at how many other deviced use SD cards. sound recorders, Cell phones, PDA's etc. It could be important to have a camera that uses the same memery type. Imagine sending a client a sample photo over the phone for aproval.
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2008, 10:33 AM   #10

JimC; Sorry, I guess I misread your post.

tjsnaps; You have a point here. Didn't think about other devices. BUT, I would like to think DSLR cameras are not in the same category as these other 'dime a dozen' consumer toys. :roll: