Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old May 6, 2008, 7:30 PM   #1

Any suggestions for a reliable memory card in the 4GB range with a fairly fast read-write time? This will be used in a Nikon D300. I've read alot of hype on the Internet from Manufactures, but what really works best under field conditions and are not prone to failure?

Tnx,

Sil

ASHUTTERBUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 7, 2008, 12:07 AM   #2

SportsPhotoGuy http://sportsphotoguy.com/best-cf-cards-for-nikon-d300/ or Rob Galbraiths site has stats on read times http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007

Im using 4 and 8 gb Sandisk, both versions II and III with out a problem in over 30,000 frames

DragonRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2008, 9:06 AM   #3

I am using a 16GB 133x Transcend card in a Fuji camera I have. I used it for a wedding and it work perfectly over the two day event.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2008, 9:41 AM   #4
Administrator

The newer advanced models from Nikon, including both the D300 and D3 support fast UDMA cards now. So, if you want faster, I'd go with a 266x (Sandisk Extreme IV or equivalent) or 300x UDMA CompactFlash card. Sandisk and Lexar are usually good bets.

Transcend just released a new 300x SLC UDMA card that seems to be very fast from tests I've seen in card readers (much faster than their 266x cards, and they appear to outperform some of the more popular cards). But, I haven't seen anyone report trying one in Nikon D300 yet to see how well it would work in that camera.

Keep in mind that one card is going to be just as fast as another until the camera's internal buffer (fast internal memory) is full, and dSLR models in this market niche have a relatively large buffer. The difference is that a faster card will give you faster cycle times after the internal buffer is full, and you'll have faster full buffer flush times (the time it takes to save everything in it's internal memory to the card).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2008, 10:26 PM   #5

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Keep in mind that one card is going to be just as fast as another until the camera's internal buffer (fast internal memory) is full, and dSLR models in this market niche have a relatively large buffer. The difference is that a faster card will give you faster cycle times after the internal buffer is full, and you'll have faster full buffer flush times (the time it takes to save everything in it's internal memory to the card).
Jim very well said.. now I know why you talked me into that 133x speed card and not the 66x speed 8Gb card I was looking at.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote