Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old May 20, 2008, 6:31 AM   #1

have never had a prob with my old compact - Olympus D-425 camera or the M 512MB XD card that came with it. but now being asked to format the card - i'm just back fromLegoland with the kids& don't want to lose ALL my precious holiday snaps! :shock:is there no other way to solve this? & if i format what is the best, easiest & most reliable way to get the photos back (i have read of recovery software that can do this, but want to make sure i choose the right one.) will i continue to have problems or will formatting sort this all out? sorry if this is an old problem that has been answered before!:O
thanks in advance to anyone with some sound advice - cheers!:?

EBSuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 20, 2008, 6:50 AM   #2
Administrator

Do not attempt to format that card until you have recovered your images from it.

Unlike other cameras, most of the time, Olympus and Fuji cameras models using xD Picture Card perform a destructive format.

You do not want to try any utilities that will write to the card either (do not try to use scandisk, etc.). You only want to use a utility designed to read from it and save your images to your hard disk.

Do you have a card reader? I'd attempt to recover the images that way first if the camera refuses to use it.

I'd try Photorec. It's free. You'll see a download menu choice on the left side of the main page.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec

Select your memory card or flash drive from the list of media it finds, and give it a place to save the photos to on your hard disk when you are asked Where to Save Recovered Files (it defaults to saving recovered files in subfolders under Photorec, where the software is installed on your hard drive, but you can change it to something else if desired).

Don't worry about changing any of the other options. Just leave everything else at defaults (Partition type of Intel, file types to recover, etc.) and it will try to recover any images that haven't been overwritten yet (and don't try to do anything like take more photos or you may overwrite some of them, or try to use any utility that writes to the card).

Here's a page showing you how to use it:

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec_Step_By_Step

If you have any questions or issues, let me know. Make sure you can see your photos OK (not just the thumbnails) after recovering them.

Then, format the card using the camera's menu choice for format before using it again. Hopefully, it's just a corrupted File Allocation Table and not a failed component.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2008, 8:01 AM   #3

thanks very much Jim for your very quick & comprehensive advice. it was a bit unfamiliar & daunting, but the step by step page really helped & i'm now in a position to go & print off the kids holiday photos - cheers!
EBSuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2008, 8:18 AM   #4
Administrator

Super, I'm glad it worked for you. Make sure to send thanks to the author of photorec, who works hard to improve the program, providing it free for others to use.

Old May 20, 2008, 10:25 AM   #5

Terrific find Jim
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2008, 10:39 AM   #6
Administrator

I've been quite pleased with it's ability. Ditto for testdisk (another free program by the same author). He knows his stuff. ;-)

There are some other free programs around that do a pretty good job in most cases. Here's one example (and it also has a nice Graphical User Interface):

http://www.pcinspector.de/Sites/smar...htm?Language=1

But, photorec seems to have less in the way of compatibility issues (I've seen others report some problems with Windows from time to time using the PC Inspector Smart Recovery software, due to some apparent .dll conflicts).

Photorec is also cross platform (Linux, Mac, Windows and more), and because it's open source (and text based), you can download the source code and compile it for operating sytems that they don't have a downloadable binary (i.e., precompiled executable) for yet.