Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Sep 29, 2003, 10:20 AM   #11

Jola. Thanks for your input. I will be shooting raw or tiff but it will be mostly static shots made with a tripod. However there will be a few cases where I would be shooting candid shots with flash. I am not concerned about buying the xD because of smaller size. I have plenty of pockets to carry extra cards. I was told too, it might be a good idea to use several smaller MB cards instead of one big one in case I lose a card sometime. I will be out in the sticks and only way to get a replacement would be by air mail from overseas.
I will be able to download my cards with a card reader each night when I get back to hotel.
GeorgeF73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2003, 4:53 PM   #12

Since we are talking about the C-5050 here, don't ignore the fact it can take multiple card formats!!!

In addition to the xD format it can also take Compact Flash types I AND II as well as the IBM Microdrive.

Reading some of the replies in this thread it seems that fact has been ignored.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2003, 5:25 PM   #13

Mike is right, if you get a 5050 don’t even consider xD. CF is superior in every way.

If you just buy a 1Gig CF card you won’t have to ever worry about losing one because it will probably never leave your camera. Multiple smaller cards are a hassle and it is too easy to lose one.

When you see a CF card you will understand why xD being easier to carry is a joke. You could have 20 CF cards in your pocket and hardly know they are there. The carrying case they supply with Oly xD cards is much larger than the tiny carrying case for CF. It holds several and is oversized so it doesn’t slip out of your pocket.

For card size verses camera size look at the Canon S400. A very compact little camera with CF. Or look at the Pentax Optio S or S4 that is a 3Mp of 4Mp camera with a 3X optical zoom that will fit in an Altoids tin – it uses SD.

xD is starting to appear as a dead end. CF is superior for anything large and SD has taken over the small card market except for Oly and Fuji cameras. I wish people would vote with their feet and eliminate the totally useless format altogether. I had no choice when I bought my C50 as there wasn’t another competent 5Mp mini camera available at the time, so I had to get a 256Mb xD card at a ridiculous price. Rather than have their overpriced and under-supported proprietary card bind me to Oly it has made me aware I want to avoid the brand. Printers with card readers will read anything but xD. Fuji and Oly overprice their SM/xD readers and multi-format readers that will also handle xD are just hitting the market.

Oly has one trick up their sleeves with the xD card. With many Olys the panorama function will not work without an Oly SM or xD card. There is no practical reason for it as there is not extra functions on the card that allow the pano to work. They just write a few digits of code to say it is an Oly card which activates the pano. They are punishing you for buying another brand of card. You might check whether that applies to the 5050 and ask whether having a dead end expensive card is worth the pano function. Better yet, consider another brand of camera.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2003, 5:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipe
I wish people would vote with their feet and eliminate the totally useless format altogether.
To say that is all well and good, but in practice what type of media card a camera uses is pretty low on the list when it comes to buying a new camera. I've owned cameras that have used 2" proprietary floppy, CF, SD/MMC, and now smartmedia (SM)...when I bought my last digital I didn't look at it and say, "oh, it uses an SM card...I'm not going to buy it." Actually, the type of media card it uses never came into concern...my only concerns were optical quality, features I wanted (zoom), how the camera feels in my hands, how it operates, and that it uses AA batteries.

It's like the kind of gas a car uses...if you absolutely love a specific car and it runs on diesel, then you have to go looking for stations that sell diesel. Of course with the car example it's more of a concern since it's an ongoing expense and the media card is a one time thing (I have two 128 meg cards, and that's enough for the life of my camera).
Old Oct 15, 2003, 6:24 PM   #15

I kind of saw the xD card as a kind of gimmic that I did not need. I like to keep things as simple as possible. I really don't have a need for a panorama picture. Been shooting for over 60 years and have never taken one or needed one.
Thank you all for your input.
George
Old Oct 15, 2003, 6:35 PM   #16

You ought to try one, it's all part of the fun of photography. Just because you've never needed one is no excuse. I've never *needed* most of the features that are in a good digital, but I like having them and experimenting!

Here's one of mine of a friend's place that's made up of five pictures, http://www.photobucket.com/albums/08...milfordpan.jpg

One of these days I'd like to try a vertical one of the CN Tower. That's one of the big things about digital, enjoy experimenting with it for little cost!
Old Oct 15, 2003, 8:10 PM   #17

Hey, that looks pretty good. I just may try it my next trip. I could use the panorama picture across two pages of a book. I did get a panoram picture one time from someone that was vertical. Pretty cool. I'll see if I can find it and I'll try posting it.
Old Oct 15, 2003, 8:14 PM   #18

If I remember correctly I saw some figures on power consumption and thats where the xD cards walked away from all other formats on the market.....thats there only true advantage other than size over the other formats. Kinda sad really...and im sure we are talking about an amount that no one would really notice as well. :P

One thing that kinda erks me and should show you how much of a future Olympus sees in the xD format is the fact that their new E-1 DSLR camera only supports CF memory. That should make you think when the largest pusher of the xD format doesn't even support it in their king of the hill offering... at least not natively.
tkmckay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2003, 9:07 PM   #19

We must not forget that digital cameras are not the only market for memory cards, specially with the CF and SD formats. There are other devices such as PDAs, MP3 players, cell phones and others that use memory cards.

There are also some non-memory devices appearing in SD format, so it looks like SD will be the next dominant format.
luisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2003, 11:55 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by luisr
We must not forget that digital cameras are not the only market for memory cards,
And don't forget Sony's marketing of the Memory Stick and MSPro...they put it in most of their devices including camcorders and TVs, so you can just pop in a Memory Stick into one of their TVs and view the pictures you just took!