Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Oct 30, 2003, 8:33 AM   #21
NHL

Default Where some xD cards come from:

xD cards are manufactured by Sandisk.
Quote:
SanDisk will also sell xD-Picture Cards under the Fujifilm brand through SanDisk's global retail distribution channels.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2003, 10:41 AM   #22

Quote:
And don't forget Sony's marketing of the Memory Stick and MSPro...they put it in most of their devices including camcorders and TVs, so you can just pop in a Memory Stick into one of their TVs and view the pictures you just took!
and when the sony 828 arrives it too will have OH! GEE! a CF slot.

sometimes its rough to go against a truely versatile format
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2004, 9:30 AM   #23

If I could choose the card my camera uses it would be CF. I don't care about size. But I'm always worried I'm going to loose my xD cards because they're so small.

I hope the prices of xD cards fall soon. How much has the CF card fallen in price since it started?
gooooogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2004, 10:27 AM   #24

xD has fallen quite a bit as of recent in the 256MB or lower. as with any format at the high capacity end both SD and xD are kind of overpriced in the current market. but as usual all things do fall.
Old Jan 6, 2004, 12:21 PM   #25

Well the future of XD is yet to be seen but it has the support of Oly and Fuji two big companies. I have read in many places where the XD card uses less power than the other formats. Remember that what a lot of photographers want is more shots on a single charge. If you can get 10 or more shots from that single charge with an XD card in it then I think it is worth it. It gives you more of a chane to get the rare shot. and lets face cards are generally a one time cost thing. You buy it and you won't buy another one. It is not like film. Where you always need to buy more. In terms of price and support from other vendors that is changing. As it becomes more acceptable others will jump on and prices will fall. So I would think that you should not allow a card to stop you from buying a camera, there are other more important issues to consider.
zace27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2004, 1:15 PM   #26

it backed by 2 big camera companies.

magellan backs sd and cf for its handheld gps and cf for its larger units.
palm dell hp and just about every other pda maker backs sd or cf for their products. sony of course is the only oddball there.

SD and CF being an open source will win out over all.