Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Sep 28, 2003, 5:17 PM   #1

Default Fastest CF card for a Dimage 5?

This little 16mb sandisk card isn't cutting it.

I wrote minolta asking what is the max transfer rate from the camera to card, but got no response.

I'm looking at the Sandisk Ultra II card. At $63, I think it's a good deal, but if the camera can't use the speed, i'll just go with the standard CF like I already have.
jubjub is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 28, 2003, 5:51 PM   #2

What speed is the one you have now?

Most cameras (I know nothing about the dimage 5) don't get much faster after around 8x-12x. The only time the camera will really use the faster than 12x is when its a really expensive Pro Digital SLR camera. Then 30x and more can make a difference (for some cameras and some brands... you need the right match to get a good speed.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2003, 6:39 PM   #3

Don't know. it's the sandisk regualr compactflash series, they don't really say.
http://www.sandisk.com/consumer/cf_card.asp

Ran a transfer test on it and got 990KB/s read 512KB/s write.

Yea I had read exactly what you said, but with the dimage 5 being a prosumer model, i'm wondering if it will support anything faster

EDIT. Well heck. doesn't look like the 5 will support faster cards, but doesn't look like that will affect my decision any. Cheapest 256mb cards are around $50. For $13 more, I get a 60X card.
jubjub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2003, 10:56 PM   #4

The generic sandisk is very slow.almost anything should be faster than that.

The Nikon CoolPix 5700 is also considered a Prosumer model, but it still doesn't benefit from the really fast cards. It all depends on the parts they want to put in the camera... and the manufacturers have all designed their non DSLRs to be really slow in writing to CF. I don't understand why, but they have.

Eric

ps. Ok, maybe I do. They want the faster write time to be a feature of the higher priced DSLRs. Sucks, though.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2003, 11:44 PM   #5

FYI:

http://webpages.charter.net/bbiggers...ds_part_2.html
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote