Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Sep 28, 2003, 6:23 PM   #1

Default Nice days in Rome but... (SD Card BIG problem...)

Hi to all !

Well i have a big problem with my Sandisk 256Mb SDCard, as you can imagine i can't read my 500 photos from my Rome holidays... i think ive tried 30 programs to recuperate my Card including the famous smtprep.exe but i cant still access the SD.

I'm only asking if someone knows a program to format the card (not the WinXP/2000/98/95 program) not at low level of course. The problem is that windows (and the other programs) dont recognize the drive where the card is, so i can't recuperate neither the card or photos.So, i want to try to format first (and make the SD workable again) and then use one of this image recuperators...

Thanks for reading, any comment welcome
pix_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 22, 2003, 6:48 PM   #2

Default Re: Nice days in Rome but... (SD Card BIG problem...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pix_
i want to try to format first (and make the SD workable again) and then use one of this image recuperators...
Im not an expert in this but I think if you format the card the pics will be gone forever...
That really stinks tho... its my biggest fear with a digital camera.

Sorry for posting this a month after you asked the question... hope its not to late for you.
JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2003, 7:06 PM   #3

The format in camera should be a high level format. If it wasn't it would take a long time and would actually use up some of the max write limit on the SD card.

This is what I've been told, and it makes sense to me.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2003, 8:23 PM   #4

1. Can the camera still read the pictures (can you see them on the screen in the camera)?

2. Have you tried downloading the pictures using the camera as a reader (via USB cable)?
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2003, 8:31 AM   #5

Default Replies

Thx all to reply.

The camera can read the pictures, so i can't format the SD trough the camara neither a USB SD Card reader.

OTOH i sent the SD to a data recovery lab but they told me that the SD had an internal problem and couldn't be fixed.

thanks again for replying

pix_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2003, 8:52 AM   #6

have you tried photorescue? because if the camera can read the card and show you images that means they're intact. that means it is recoverable.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2003, 2:13 PM   #7

Default Re: Replies

Quote:
Originally Posted by pix_
The camera can read the pictures, so i can't format the SD trough the camara neither a USB SD Card reader.
If the camera can read the pictures, why didn't you use the camera to download the pictures??? If the camera can read the pictures, that would have been the first thing I would have tried to recover the pictures.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2003, 3:34 AM   #8

Quote:
think ive tried 30 programs to recuperate my Card including the famous smtprep.exe but i cant still access the SD.
If this is what you've run, and it works like the others in the prep series, then unless you made an image of your card before using it you may have blown it. These are LOW LEVEL formatters. That is they get a card working but ALL data is wiped to 00 or FF. VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2003, 10:05 AM   #9

Strange situation...

You might take the SD card to a photo shop where they might be able to read it and copy your pics to CD.

If you can see pics in Camera, then perhaps direct USB connection to different operating system may help.

Good lesson though...put pics to CD as soon as you can.

FYI, Here is what I do with both Smartmedia and compact flash w/no problems:

1. I remove card.
2. Put card in reader.
3. Edit select all
4. Edit copy
5. Edit paste to hard drive for editing.
6. Edit select all on card again.
7. Hit delete key.

Never had problem.

Two cents

Hope this helps for the future!
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2003, 9:20 AM   #10

Hi,

Just had a friend with the same problem on a Samsung camera with a CF card. Pictures could be seen by the camera but when connected by USB or in a card reader the card was unreadable. The problem turned out to be that his card was full!, he'd never formatted it and assumed that by just using the delete fuction on his camera all the files/directories were deleted when they weren't.

Photorescue was the only thing which would read the card via the camera/usb link and it managed to save 99% of his photos.
phaedra1106 is offline   Reply With Quote