Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jun 7, 2008, 11:30 AM   #1

I just recently bought an upgraded compact flash card for my 'Nikon 5400 Coolpix' off of eBay. From what I read on Steve's camera review for my camera, I don't understand why the memory card I bought would be incompatible.

I get this error turning on the camera when the new memory card is installed: "This card cannot be used"

It seems like the two cards are different; one is much heavier than the other (maybe four times as much). I thought that either drive would be okay because this camera supports (according to Steve's review) both type I and II CF cards. Apparently, one drive is a solid-state card and the other is a mini hard-disk drive. Might it be that my camera only uses the solid-state drives?

I bought a new 8GB card replacing the 32MB card the camera came with. Is there a limit to the cameras memory capacity?
Stormcaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 7, 2008, 11:44 AM   #2
Administrator

Your camera model uses a FAT16 file system type. So, it's going to be limited to a maximum CompactFlash size of 2GB (although Nikon only tested through 1GB cards, most 2GB cards should also work).

As for microdrives, I'd probably avoid them entirely, even if you see one that's 2GB or smaller. At one time, you got more "bang for the buck" going that way. But, it really doesn't make much sense to go with a mechanical drive with current prices on memory cards (plus you can run into issues with compatibility due to power requirements and more with some microdrives).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2008, 3:04 PM   #3

Thank you for the help; that solved everything!
Stormcaller is offline   Reply With Quote