Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Aug 1, 2002, 12:39 AM   #11

i have 3 256 mb cards they have been in and out of 6 different cameras never have i broken a door or damaged a card. the cards themselves are extremely durable. dropped them many times from about 3 feet still running. as to the doors being broken. i believe you'll have to put an effot to try on most good ones. sorry i didn't purchase an a/c adapter. i fill 3 cards in a day your still swapping cards out if you own more than one. so it's 6 of one half a dozen of the other. you'll handle the camera more often that way.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2002, 4:49 AM   #12

- Don't mean to get too off the main thread however, I'm in sjms camp. I respect BillDrew, but I'm using an Olympus C3040 with SmartMedia. At work, I've only been supplied with a 16M and a 64M card. SmartMedia cards are very thin media when compared to the thicker CF form factor. The camera is used in a Manufacturing environment to take pictures I edit and place into Work Instructions, in short its gets real beat up. I am continually swapping the memory cards out of the camera to cut/paste them onto my workstation, 8X/day is common. Not a broken card or camera for 6 months. One scratch *sniff* on the LCD.
- As for safety, I just use the carrying strap and lens cap, when the camera is out of it's storage case.
- I prefer the card readers try:
http://www.butterflymedia.com/Products-5in1Reader.asp
For 39$ I bougt a 5in1 that reads CF,SmartMedia and SecuredDigital. Another 10$ would have given me MemoryStick also. #$%@#, Sony, proprietary, ahm, excuse me.
- For power I need 4-AA. I use a recharger with 2 sets of NI-MH batteries.
- Initally I was using a Floppy adapter to transfer pix. That was like waiting for really wet paint to dry. I realize transfer from the camera is faster but for me, USB reader is the way to go. With the USB reader software on my PC at work and home, I also have the added advantage of transfering needed data files if the cards don't have pix on 'em. No floppies, no burning CD-Roms.
- Caution... I've also read in the Olympus section on this site that sometimes the TWAIN driver, the software that helps the camera talk to the PC, can give less than expected performance. If you do go with BillDrew check for TWAIN driver performance.
- TWAIN = Things Without An Interesting Name. Ok, now I'm really off topic, but I hope I helped.
/sb
ShtrBug007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2002, 6:56 AM   #13
NHL

I also agree with sjms, and I eject my microdrive all the time!

From the Compact Flash Association:
Code:
[i]The connector used with CompactFlash is similar to the PCMCIA Card connector, but with 50 pins. Years of field experience in portable devices have proven the reliability and durability of this connector in applications where frequent insertions/ejections of the card are required.[/i]
Also which one would one rather wear, the CF reader or the tiny USB connector on the camera? One can try to live without a reader, but after a while one would give up just for the convenience of the download speed! The microdrive is designed to survive a 1500G shock(ie 8-feet drop depending on the initial velocity), but not your camera!

[Edited on 8-1-2002 by NHL]
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2002, 9:52 AM   #14

i forget one other thing about cf cards. they generally have lifetime warrantees. should they fail under normal use (which includes in/out of your camera/reader its replaced from good manufacturers. now that is of course you didn't physically break it. if it shows no signs of physical stress like deep teeth marks or been bent to some weird angle you should not have a problem. should you be handling your camera and something happens that is not warrantee related you've got an issue that will cost you. removal/replacement of cf cards is a natural act on a camera. the warrantee is generally only 1 year.

[Edited on 8-1-2002 by sjms]
Old Aug 1, 2002, 11:10 AM   #15

1) Memory failures are rare with carefull handling.
2) Memory failures are much more rare with no handling whatsoever.

Every report I have seen about memory failure has a comment about taking the memory out of the camera.

I do not mean to imply that using a card reader will always lead to memory damage - it won't. I also don't mean to imply that a card reader should never be used - just that there should be a good reason to use one. Several good reasons for using a card reader have been stated in this thread, but they don't apply to everyone.

It does take about an hour to download a nearly full gig microdrive via my camera's USB connection, but I can be working on the first ones while later ones are downloading. Or I can do something else while they are downloading.

If your camera has a fast USB connection, getting the largest memory card/drive you can afford and never taking it out of the camera will eliminate the chance of bent/gouged pins/contcts, static, dropping in hot coffee, door breakage, dirt into the camera, .... All rare, but real, possibilities.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2002, 11:24 AM   #16

If I connect the camera directly to the computer without a card reader, can it also be used to transfer non-image data files form one PC to another?
arutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2002, 11:47 AM   #17
NHL

arutha

If you plan to do that, which one is more convenient?

A rather bulky camera with spaghetti wires/AC adapter that you can trip on (and even more stress on the tiny USB connector) or a self-powered faster card reader? (Beside some cameras require you to install the driver on each computer whereas driver free readers do exit!)

[Edited on 8-1-2002 by NHL]
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2002, 11:57 AM   #18

Default You callin my camera bulky?

My question was more theoretical than practical, though. From your answer I guess it is possible.
Anyway, when you connect the camera and/or the card reader to the PC, does it regard the camera/reader as another drive and allows you to drag and drop files, or do you need a special software or driver?
You don't really have to answer this because I'm getting my cam tomorrow!!!!
Thanks anyway!
arutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2002, 11:59 AM   #19

No cannot be used to move data through Camera. I will echo (almost) everyones opinion card failure is rare. found 2 2.0 readers, one is dual, CF and smart media $79, other is CF $55. Once agian 1.1 is not a turtle, very fast. You may want to consider a 6 in 1, less than $40, 1.1, why? If anyone visits and brings their own digicam you will be able to put their card in reader and get copies of pics. Quality aftermarket a/c adaptors run $25-$30, one from your camera manufater can be around $50. A 6 in 1 reader can be shared by computers, be used to take data between any PC and pictures from any camera. AC adaptors tend to be for only a few models, the cheap multi voltage a/c adaptors can damage camera as volts in only part of required rating. I am a reseller in small town, (no sales pitch only local sales). Damaged cards 0, damaged doors 0, dropped cameras 3. Time required to get pics with reader, rermove card, put in reader, click my computer, click card reader drive letter or get out ac adapter, plug into outlet, plug into camera, get usb cable, plug into usb port, plug into camera, remove lens cap(some cams) turn camera on, open software, find download, click on it....... and yes where you plug ac and USB cables are behind doors.
Your choice,
Good Luck,
Gary

[Edited on 8-1-2002 by Gary Senkus]

[Edited on 8-1-2002 by Gary Senkus]
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2002, 12:19 PM   #20

no he's calling your camera a highly tuned instrument that was designed to take fine images and have the capability to use multiple media types and sizes. with the capability to change media you can guarentee you'll have shots. if your not using a microdrive like i don't your not putting all your eggs in 1 basket. should, and i hope never happens, a failure of a card ever happens on a trip or event i hope you at least have a backup to slip in. either way you go it will work. you'll learn with time you never have enough memory. i just purchased a 512MB card today. thats a whole 38 shots in ultrafine mode 180 in fine. if i get a microdrive in fine roughly 360 or 76 shot in ultra fine. when i tripped out to japan w/film i averaged about 150-170 shots per day bracketing. those were 10-30 day shoots. lots of film went through the cameras. about 40% didn't work out. shots i definately wanted were done in multiples at different settings.i reviewed at my leisure after processing. yes you can review and erase on digital but then bye bye batteries plus determining quality on a 1.8in moniter is a joke. what ever you choose to do just enjoy the images you create.

just remember to be careful around the cable if you pull a reader accidently off a table no harm done. the camera may not be so lucky.

as to his statement on the damage to cards from insertion or removal. No, its from people not reading the instructions.

while he's downloading for an hour i can be out shooting.

photography hasen't changed. you'll still shoot till you get it right. if it isn't film then its cf cards.

[Edited on 8-1-2002 by sjms]