Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Aug 1, 2002, 3:29 PM   #21

I really really enjoy this forum!
It's so nice to hang around others with the same hobby and share thoughts.
You have answered my question and gave me a lot to think of.
Right now I agree the card reader makes more sense than an AC adapter (but I may still change my mind.. ).
Thank you ALL!
A.
arutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2002, 4:13 PM   #22

arutha,
My last post on this, just want to address the microdrive mentioned above. Fuji and Olympus are doing a new ventur on a card smaller than a smart media, but will have an adaptor that will allow use in compact flash slots, looks like the twilight hours for the micro drive. here is a small cut/paste from Olympus UK. Site says 1 gig version prior to XMAS

The new ultra-compact storage solution
Ultra-compact, with fast data transfer rates and currently up to 128MB storage capacity, the removable xD-Picture Card has been developed to meet the memory card requirements of the modern, multi-megapixel digital photographer. The new media will initially be available in memory capacities from 16MB up to 128MB and has been created to potentially support capacities up to 8GB in the future. Shooting versatility is enhanced through the panorama function while the optional available PC Card adapter and USB card reader make it easy to transfer digital pictures, movies and sound files to a computer. A Compact Flash adapter exclusively designed for the new media allowing xD-Picture Cards to be inserted in cameras with a Compact Flash slot will also be available soon. For protecting spare cards when travelling, for example, Olympus offers a special xD-Picture Card holder.
Specifications
Model:xD-Picture Card M-XD16P xD-Picture Card M-XD32P xD-Picture Card M-XD64P xD-Picture Card M-XD128
Dimensions:25 (H) x 20 (W) x 1,7 (D) mmWeight:2 gVolume:850 mm3 Pin number: 18Capacity:16, 32, 64, 128 MBVoltage:3,3 VMemory type:NAND FlashTransfer speed:Write: 1,3 MB/s (M-XD16P and M-XD32P) Write: 3,0 MB/s (M-XD64P and M-XD128P) Read: 5,0 MB/sID protection function:YesPanorama function:YesWrite protect:NoController:NoOperating environment:Temperature: 0 - 55C (operation); -20 - 65C (storage) Humidity: less than 95% (operation); less than 95% (storage)
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2002, 4:42 PM   #23
NHL

Gary

The 1-2G Nand flashes exist now in the CF form factor... It just happens to cost lot more than the microdrive... All the better for the future then since all PCs should boot of flash instead of cheap diskdrives! Cost/Mb is the issue...

[Edited on 8-1-2002 by NHL]

Sony also showed off their 'vaporware' DUO and MS in the gigabit range...

[Edited on 8-1-2002 by NHL]
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2002, 11:38 PM   #24

Ha ha! I missed a nice debate
Anyway , would like to say my opinion also :

I don't like using the USB link because:
- have to put my camera on the desk , not far from my coffee cup , and I did spill my coffee many times b4
- my first reader was a Sandisk , no problem, and now I got a PNY reader /writer free with a special on a CF bundle .
- USB direct is slower
- better put my cam safe in the case b4 having accident

Manipulating CF cards should be "mastered" as changing a film on the camera , or swapping batteries ( or reloading a gun ) . One day , you will have to do it in the field, or even in the dark , so better have that dexterity already.
Also , I will share my CF cards with my potential mp3 reader to come .

I got an AC adapter , but not for that purpose , because during downloading , LCD is off and power consumption is not that significant .

arutha ,
About PC to PC connection , have been years now that I use a parallel laplink cable with FX ( a simple but efficient software) ( windows have also "direct-cable" utility already in)
Now Laplink has a special USB to USB direct connection ( don't do it yourself, it's not straight wired, and has electronics between )

I opt for NHL idea, transfering files/pics with your CF card and the reader . It's faster and make more sense and is safer ( for your most expensive item: the camera) . Reader /writer is cheap now.
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2002, 11:49 PM   #25

gary
i read up on the new xd stuff. i like the idea of the interopability to cf cards with the adapter. did you notice the dimensions on those cards. your gonna have to be careful not to loose them. i'll probably leave my 1gig in the adapter when it comes out
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2002, 4:00 PM   #26

Default update

I got my cam today (Fuji S602)!!!
Here's my latest take on the card reader vs. AC adapter dillema:

Apparently unplugging the camera from the PC isn't so simple. First you have to eject the hardware, then you have to stop the device, and only then can you unplug the camera. At least that's what it says in the manual (for Windows 2000).
This gives me a headache only thinking about it, and makes buying a card reader a necessity (at least for me). However, the SM card does seem to be thin and fragile and I'm afraid to touch it...
*(off the topic - I was supposed to get a CF but received a SM instead. I don't mind, though................ or should I? )
arutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2002, 6:51 PM   #27

Arutha,
My previous posts on this were all based on smart media. I got the 8 meg cards laying all over my desk, some buried, all work. Once agian your camera is the most fragil and costly piece of equipment, think about it and make your own mind up, alot of people have taken alot of time with posts to this, time for you to decide.
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2002, 7:59 AM   #28
NHL

Arutha

My MP3 player (and my kids) use SmartMedia (I hope they make CF), and trust me we carry theses SM cards in our pocket all the time!!! Not that they don't swap them at school either among their friends... Removing cards under power while reading is OK, removing card while writing will corrupt the data... Everything can be fixed with a Format or FDisk!

Electro Static Discharge is what kill the cards, and manufacturers have improved their ESD protection of the I/O pads over time. Just don't forcefully bend the card either...

[Edited on 8-3-2002 by NHL]

On another note, xD like all new formats: MemoryStick, MultiMedia Card, and al. have embraced the serialized copy management scheme (ie they're not designed for the benefit of the photographers, but to protect the music industries as well as litigations against the H/W manufacturers in general), so their download speed will always be handicaped as well (and they are no speed demon already compare to... shall we say a microdrive?)

[Edited on 8-3-2002 by NHL]
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2002, 6:20 PM   #29

i don't think so.

you are a hard sell

sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2002, 1:06 AM   #30

Default Smart Media durability : USB interface nfo

- SM cards... I remember the first couple times I worked with Smart Media cards, I was kinda put off by the flexibility of them. You just get used to it, just like any other new technology. I use a 5in1 butterfly reader (see link above) and I just make sure I'm not directly accessing the card by clicking on my C drive before I remove the SM card. For an offshore product, the software driver is pretty stable too.
- I'm only bummed because SM cards top out @ 128M capacity per a post that Steve wrote that I read recently (Stupid Cards, LOL) sorry dont have the tid # to the post. The neighborhood club store next door to me has 128M cards for 55$/ea. though.
- USB stuff... Theres firewire 1394 out there thats even faster but for ease of use I like USB. For example, I use a 4port USB hub so a theres a common area to plug stuff in to and I'm not wearing out USB port A or B on my motherboard.
- A lot of USB devices are "hot-swappable" too. I can boot my PC, then whenever I want plug in my 5in1 to the hub I have twist tied to my PC rack. It shows as three removable disks S:, T: and U: . I just refresh the DIR tree with F5 and poof, the drives show.
- Also USB is often self powered so the juice that runs the card reader is often carried on the USB data cable itself, no AC adapters, clean. I don't know about you but my power strip/surge suppressor is pretty full with all my toys.
- That manufacturing company I work for makes data cables, I wear many hats including Test Supervisor. Need any tips with USB just give a shout. Best of luck...
/sb
ShtrBug007 is offline   Reply With Quote