Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jul 27, 2002, 12:12 PM   #1

Default Do I REALLY need a CF Reader or AC adapter??

If I understand correctly, both the CF reader and the AC adapter have only one function: to save batery power when transferring images from camera to computer. As such, it seems to me that neither is really necessary, not to mention having BOTH.
Besides, if I transfer images from a 128MB CF card (directly from the camera), how much battery power does it take? Is it worth the extra bucks?
I have a Fuji S602.
Thanks!

[Edited on 7-27-2002 by arutha]
arutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 27, 2002, 12:17 PM   #2

go with card reader, take card out and put your cam out of harms way while working on pics. No worse sound then cam hittin floor. Look for a USB 2.0 card reader, latest standard, much faster than the 1.1. If it does not say 2.0 its a 1.1, they are trying to clear them out.
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2002, 12:27 PM   #3

Thanks Gary!
btw.. can a USB 2.0 compatible reader connect to a USB 1.0 or 1.1 slot on the computer?

A.
Old Jul 27, 2002, 12:34 PM   #4

sure is, you can also buy a 2.0 card for about $25, but even with the 2.0 reader running at 1.1 things happen quick.
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2002, 2:30 PM   #5

yes but it still will only run at usb 1.1 speed. it will only run 2.0 speed if jacked into a 2.0 card. it will still be faster and easier than runing off your camera. if speed is a must just add a usb 2.0 adapter card to an open pci slot add software if its not 2k or xp and your off and running. mine is a combo usb2.0/firewire card.

[Edited on 7-27-2002 by sjms]
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2002, 2:36 PM   #6

Can you recommend a specific reader?
All the ones I found do not say anything about USB version, which probably means that they are 1.1.
Old Jul 27, 2002, 3:17 PM   #7

if speed is that important i personally have not looked into or really seen any 2.0 models. the microtech/dazzle zio cf reader is simple and inexpensive at about $25-$30 usb 1.1.
delkin reader for CF
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...=30421&loc=101 and there are others
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2002, 6:34 PM   #8

Thanks!
But I still have this question: If I download the images directly from the camera, does it take much power or is it negligible relative to the total use of the battery by the camera?
Old Jul 28, 2002, 11:51 AM   #9

Keep in mind that pretty much all damage to memory cards come because they are removed from the camera. A few folks have also destroyed their cameras by breaking the memory door. That can't happen if you don't take the memory out of the camera.

Seems to me that taking the memory card out of the camera, setting the camera aside, grabbing the camera, and reinserting the card has more potential for dropping the camera than simply setting it down and plugging in the USB and power cord. And if you are inept enough to consider that as a problem, you are going to drop the camera sometime anyway.

An AC adapter is also cheaper than a card reader and usefull for teathered shooting. I would hesitate to download using batteries: all kinds of strange things can happen if power fails while reading.

Even though it takes almost an hour to download a full Gig microdrive via the camera's USB, I prefer doing that to handling the microdirve.

There are reasons to use a card reader, but (for me) none of them outweigh the chance of damage.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2002, 1:48 PM   #10

Thanks BillDrew!
What you're sayionjg makes sense and I'll get an AC adapter rather than a card reader.

A.